What will be the next technology to go?

This is already possible as evidenced by the MacBook Air power adapter, but manufacturers seem to lack the innovation of applying new technology to "new technology."

You are talking about a technology that is heavily patented and protected with a degree of aggression rivaled only by Disney.

You are talking about a technology that is heavily patented and protected with a degree of aggression rivaled only by Disney.

That specific technology may be patented, but how many ways can you skin a cat?

Apple doesn't own the patent on transmitting electricity and power across close proximity devices without wires. There are phone chargers, not manufactured by Apple, that use the same technology. Plus, patents are "usually" pretty specific when they concern electronic communications and transmission. While unethical, a competitor can change a few details and get away with producing the same thing. Frequency/Size/Color/Name... if it looks different, it must be different (judge logic).

I only know this because my father once invented a set of jumper cables that would tell you whether or not your jumper cables were hooked up properly before completing the circuit from the charged battery to the dead car battery (avoiding shocks or the rare explosions from arcing electricity igniting gas from the battery chemical compounds). He went to patent it and found that someone else already owned the patent. He contacted the inventor and gained approval to sell the jumper cables with their current design. After presenting to a manufacturing company who turned him down, they appeared on shelves months later. He initiated litigation that went nowhere because the producer (who got the original plans from the company he pitched the idea to) changed a few connections and technical specifications and was able to dodge a guilty verdict. It happens.

So why PC makers can't apply a great idea to their products is beyond me... and don't say it's due ethical business practices. Those guys are morally bankrupt.

That specific technology may be patented, but how many ways can you skin a cat?

Apple doesn't own the patent on transmitting electricity and power across close proximity devices without wires. There are phone chargers, not manufactured by Apple, that use the same technology. Plus, patents are "usually" pretty specific when they concern electronic communications and transmission. While unethical, a competitor can change a few details and get away with producing the same thing. Frequency/Size/Color/Name... if it looks different, it must be different (judge logic).

I only know this because my father once invented a set of jumper cables that would tell you whether or not your jumper cables were hooked up properly before completing the circuit from the charged battery to the dead car battery (avoiding shocks or the rare explosions from arcing electricity igniting gas from the battery chemical compounds). He went to patent it and found that someone else already owned the patent. He contacted the inventor and gained approval to sell the jumper cables with their current design. After presenting to a manufacturing company who turned him down, they appeared on shelves months later. He initiated litigation that went nowhere because the producer (who got the original plans from the company he pitched the idea to) changed a few connections and technical specifications and was able to dodge a guilty verdict. It happens.

So why PC makers can't apply a great idea to their products is beyond me... and don't say it's due ethical business practices. Those guys are morally bankrupt.

When you have the best intellectual-property lawyers money can buy, then you can seal up a concept pretty tight. It is true, there are ways around the 'problem', but frankly, that intereface is pretty damn low on the priority list.

Many laptop builders have at least met us halfawy by making the power connection modular so that we can replace a connecto and some wiring instead of having to get a motherboard repaired, but for them there are bigger fish to fry, such as thinner, lighter, with more battery life...

Besides, don't you know? everything is wireless nowadays! :rolleyes:

A lot of items are on a planned obsolescent program. As time wears on items we take for granted will be phased out for the new technology.

I wouldn't exactly call blu-ray the "in thing." Sure, it's the newest technology, but it really hasn't been nearly as widely adopted as was intended. Most people seem to still be using DVDs, or not using any physical media at all.

This, however more and more floor space is being devoted to blu-rays and I won't be surprised they'll be predominant in 10 years.

In regards to vinyl records, I thought they were on the way out so I was surprised to learn they're getting popular again.

Don't agree on this one. Reason?

For one, the lack of a CD drive. The industry is already moving towards digital downloads, so that's already out.

Plus, the MacBook Air is completely integrated. Soldered RAM, proprietary hard drive, thin form factor and powerful CPU. You may not agree with its lack of expandability, but the simple fact is most consumers do not upgrade their machines after their initial purchase.

We purchased several ASUS Zenbooks at work. They're great laptops, don't get me wrong. For work purposes though? You can't dock them, so to take your laptop to and from work each day (as I do) you have to disconnect 3+ cables.

You can dock the MacBook Air using two cables. Everything is located in the monitor.

With the population losing their intelligence and gaining only a need for convenience, the only way that will be possible is if another interface is adopted that would reduce the size of the dock male > female connections.

Stop with this holier than thou attitude. Jesus, you really buy that theory? Just because people aren't technologically inclined, doesn't mean they have low intelligence.

This is already possible as evidenced by the MacBook Air power adapter, but manufacturers seem to lack the innovation of applying new technology to "new technology."

Interesting how that works out.

I yield the floor.
liuhan1.jpg

liuhan2.jpg

liuhan3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom