Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Sometimes I do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I don't

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
It's a presidential election year here in the US. With local elections, since I'm not kept well informed enough to make an intelligent decision with candidates popping out of the woodwork at the last minute, I don't bother to vote. The only election that really matters to me is the one for President and here I don't bother either. Why not? Because I regard it as a farce since we don't have the direct vote and a President can get in with a minority vote so how much does my vote count under these circumstances? But who knows? You may feel different. So do you vote?

There's only been one election since I became of-age to vote, and no one told us about it until it was already going on, and then I never had time because of work, then the polling closed.

So yes, I would vote; but since i'e been of age i havent been able to.

I think it's important to vote, because some of the voting margins, especially for local elections (delegates in the US) are so slim, 10 or 15 extra people showing up to vote can sway the result. If everyone had the attitude of 'what's the point', then we'd end up with leaders that no one really wants, but were too lazy to vote against.

I think it's silly to not vote, since so many groups in history have fought for the right to vote, and revolted to give the general population the vote; to not exploit that privilige is silly. I mean, If only a few people turn out to choose our leaders, what makes that any different from class-specific voting priviliges, or not being able to vote at all?

Once you're inside the booth, how can they tell if you're pushing buttons or flipping switches…or doing weed?

In the UK at least, quite frankly I don't trust politicians in general. In pretty much every case I've seen, it goes something like this:

- Politician who wants to get in outlines a load of (perhaps excellent) policies which people like and sound like they'd do a lot of good in potentially getting the country back on track
- People listen to these proposed policies and vote people in on behalf of them
- Politician gets in on the basis of his policies, then turns round and doesn't implement any of them, without any accountability or repercussions - just does what suits him best, and implements things at a whim without any referendum.

I do vote, because at the end of the day I'd prefer a major party to get in than a minor extremist BNP-like movement. But I do sometimes think we're voting on the wrong thing - specific laws (ACTA, SOPA, PIPA just as examples) get bankrolled through the system by big companies with no votes, but it's a big thing that we vote for someone based on what we perceive their general persona and arbitrary ideas to be that may change at any time?

a President can get in with a minority vote so how much does my vote count under these circumstances?

Every vote counts no matter what, so by not voting makes it easy for the opponent to get in.

People should take notice of their local politics for the very reason it effects your quality of life/living standards.....simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom