Transferring files from Comp A to Comp B

Rook

Beta member
How do I transfer my files from my old computer to my new computer? I have a back-up drive with all my old files on it and also a current "mirror" image of my old C/ drive on it. I also have a CD ROM with Acronis back-up software and it's also loaded on the old computer. My new computer comes with a newer version of windows and other software that I want to keep.....so a "restore" of the mirror image to my new computer will overwrite my new operating system and the new software that I want to keep. And, simply just copying the files of the old software programs from my old computer to my new computer will probably not work with the new operating system on the new computer because the old Registry info will not be copied to the new Registry. My only option seems to be to re-install as much of the old software to the new computer as I can. Any ideas? Thanks, Rook

You pretty much solved your own problem here.

When transferring user data, you can simply plug the old drive in and drag and drop. Programs, however, need to be reinstalled.

Back
Top Bottom