Are user names going to be outlawed?

THat doesn't say that usernames will be outlawed, it's saying that websites would need to confirm people's real name and address when they register. I can see that being usefully, but it's still not the way I'd like the internet to go. Thank god New York Laws won't affect me here in WI :)

Boo, it has been my opinion for a long time that the laws we have today are very unsuitable for the Internet in its current state of evolution...

Seems to be a trend going on which I'm opposed to. Here's an article: CNET Mobile - News
Who takes notice of an anonymous comment!!! Only cowards & deviates make anonymous comments.

Real people will stand up & be counted.

User names have accounts that can be identified but privacy laws still protect the user.

Last edited:
I say better to be a coward than expose yourself to possible mischief and danger.

Aside from that, I regard usernames as an expression as to what you're about and into. So I regard them as personal and the NY State bill as an invasion of privacy.

My username is a distinct online personality which may not necessarily reflect my attitudes, opinions, etc. in real life.

Using my IRL name online would be counterproductive at best.

Back in 1996, before the internet really took off, I was invited to participate in some Internet Relay Chat rooms, ones set up for people local to the area I had just moved into.

So, I needed an online nick, max eight letters. I decided to adapt a nickname I was assigned at one point in my life, made it shorter and more unique.

I have kept the same username ever since and I am the only Dngrsone (as far as I know) on the internet.

Thank god New York Laws won't affect me here in WI :)

My friend; you do know that guinea pigs are a precursor to human testing right?

This NY bill is only setting the stage for nonsense. Imagine a world where someone says that some news story "is gay". Well, that's not P.C. enough for today's hipsters so their name gets revealed. They're found on FB, harassed (only after befriending an unknown person) and then tracked down and murdered.

Good intentions do not justify wrongful actions.

Back
Top Bottom