Possible Motherboard Failure

TheWimpyRambo

Solid State Member
I'll start off with the background:
When playing games or doing anything, my computer (I believed) used to randomly shut off with the video display going away. However the computer would still be powered on and the only thing left to do would be to reset it. Then everything would be fine. This continued on and off until yesterday, when I was playing a game.
The computer turned off and, frustrated, I left the computer and didn't attempt to restart it.
Now today, it turns on but there is no video.
I opened my PC up, and realized the graphics card fan isn't spinning up, everything else is. I figured it was a Gfx problem. But then I also noticed that the USB ports do not work, nothing plugged into them gets powered.
I figure it is a motherboard problem?
I also tried with one RAM stick, both RAM sticks, and no RAM sticks.
I get no display, boot, or error beeps.
Edit: I can hear my HDD spinning up.
What other test do I need to do? Or is my motherboard simply fried?
Thank you in advance

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

I built my PC by the way.
I can't remember all the specs off the top of my head but I remember the motherboard is a Gigabyte m790x-ud4p with 4 gigs G.skill DDR2 RAM and a gtx 260 XFX card.
AMD phenom ii 940 processor at stock Ghz, no overclock was done.
All inside an Antec 1200 so I don't think it could be overheating.
It may also be a PSU problem, but all the fans and lights spin up on the case and the CPU.
Lastly, once the computer is turned on through the power button, it cannot be turned off unless i simply flip the switch on the PSU.
No integrated graphics to test the display on.

Last edited:
Well, if the PC isn't beeping it isn't POSTing (Means it is sticking before BIOS). At this stage, there is no power going to the USB Ports anyway.

If the GFX card fan isn't spinning, and the display used to just cut out and need to be rebooted, I'd wager it's the GPU that has failed. The best way to test it would be to try the GPU in another PC (Any PC with a PCI-e x16 Lane in it, just to see if the PC Boots)

Aside from that, memory failure is usually manifested in freezing, lockups and bluescreens, not random shutdowns. Board failure is usually a lot more catastrophic than that, it will bomb out with a million different bluescreens before refusing to turn on.

EDIT: OH, and the HDD spinning up just means it is getting power from the PSU, just like all the fans will spin and the lights will come on.

Well, if the PC isn't beeping it isn't POSTing (Means it is sticking before BIOS). At this stage, there is no power going to the USB Ports anyway.
That's what I was thinking.
If the GFX card fan isn't spinning, and the display used to just cut out and need to be rebooted, I'd wager it's the GPU that has failed. The best way to test it would be to try the GPU in another PC (Any PC with a PCI-e x16 Lane in it, just to see if the PC Boots)
Yeah I think I'll blame the GPU and try to find another PCI-Express card to just try to run on. Would I be able to just use another card in my build now? Because I have no access to a build that can readily take my GPU without needing a bigger PCU.

Aside from that, memory failure is usually manifested in freezing, lockups and bluescreens, not random shutdowns. Board failure is usually a lot more catastrophic than that, it will bomb out with a million different bluescreens before refusing to turn on.
True. They aren't even shutdowns, they were just the GPU card that stopped working randomly. I never got a bluescreen.

Thanks man, I used to be an active member here but I kinda pulled away and slowly forgot my info and had to make a new account :/

UPDATE:I took a tried and true GPU from my old computer and plugged it into my computer which isn't working.
This time, the fan on the GPU spun up and all looked well.
However, the screen still did not come on??
I tried again with both RAM sticks, one RAM stick, and no RAM sticks. Nothing.
What should I try next?

Ok, here's what I did.
Took an old 300 watt tried and true PSU from my old computer and simply plugged in the 24-pin connector to my nonworking computer and the 4 pin connector to the CPU (Problem: The old PSU has a 4-pin but my MOBO has an 8-pin) I plugged in the 4-pin anyway and nothing else.
I also plugged in my tried and true GPU (9600 gt: requires no external power besides PCI express port)
Turned it on, and it worked!
It didn't boot as HDD wasn't plugged in or anything but the computer did turn on and I did get video.
So now I'm sure it has to be a PSU problem.
However, as the tried and true PSU had only one 6-pin connector for my GPU, whereas my GPU (the believed to be broken one) need two, I could not test if the GPU works or not.
All I know is the computer boots with the new PSU and the 9600 gt.
Now, which PSU should I get, the old one was 600 watts.
Do you think my GPU actually works, and was simply getting no power?

Ok, here's what I did.
Took an old 300 watt tried and true PSU from my old computer and simply plugged in the 24-pin connector to my nonworking computer and the 4 pin connector to the CPU (Problem: The old PSU has a 4-pin but my MOBO has an 8-pin) I plugged in the 4-pin anyway and nothing else.
I also plugged in my tried and true GPU (9600 gt: requires no external power besides PCI express port)
Turned it on, and it worked!
It didn't boot as HDD wasn't plugged in or anything but the computer did turn on and I did get video.
So now I'm sure it has to be a PSU problem.
However, as the tried and true PSU had only one 6-pin connector for my GPU, whereas my GPU (the believed to be broken one) need two, I could not test if the GPU works or not.
All I know is the computer boots with the new PSU and the 9600 gt.
Now, which PSU should I get, the old one was 600 watts.
Do you think my GPU actually works, and was simply getting no power?

IIt sounds like the issue was the PSU not the GPU. Get a PSU with similar power output to the existing one.

Back
Top Bottom