Why I think Macs are overhyped

Well, to start with, the “Mac vs. PC” campaign is hilarious for multiple reasons. When Macintoshes were introduced, they were supposed to be the personal computer, making them more of a PC than the “wintel” (IBM PC-type) computers, even though they are less personal than any Windows/Linux-based computer, which come in multiple varieties, and possess infinite customization. This makes a Mac seem more like an appliance than an actual computer, which would be fine if the price agreed with this idea.

Less personal? The naming scheme was created simply to differentiate the two.

The arguments used by Apple fans are either not valid anymore or simply not important, yet they continue to shout them from every mountain to claim their brands superiority. Apple computers are like Oakley glasses; they don't offer any functionality that is superior to a pair of $15 shades from Wal-Mart, nor are they of superior build quality.

I'm willing to guess you've never actually owned a Mac and you're simply basing your accusations on stereotypes and word-of-mouth rather than on first hand experience.

When I bought my Macbook Pro in summer 2010, it was £999, for this price I could've got a slightly up-spec laptop, but it it would not have the same integration with my Phone, the same battery life, the same safety charger, the same portability, the same usability or hold it's value as well.

Macbooks for years ago still go for 500-700 quid.

My Mum brought an iMac because our old computer crashed and she had enough of windows and she loves it and said that she wouldnt go back to using windows and now she wants to replace her windows laptop with a mac bookpro...

Macs are the reason why catering for user experience is not just about putting together the next high performance parts. This is an important shift for the computer industry. I don't think they are overhyped.

Wow, aren't you clever.

For what it's worth, Ubuntu isn't user friendly enough for the mainstream consumer.

Firstly, Apple help to keep the other PC manufacturer's prices down. Apple is the only proper competition to Microsoft; without them Microsoft could just pile on the price and give uptrying because they'd be the only ones in the market. Competition drives innovation, it also drives prices down.

There's a reason that Macs are expensive, if you owned one you'd know why. There's a whole lot of little things that add up.

Back
Top Bottom