First build setup! any help appreciated!

sulliv16

Beta member
I just started playing diablo 3 and my 4 year old pc cannot even play it on the lowest settings, so im looking to do some serious remodeling and upgrading. This is my first time building my own pc so i have done a lot of research and i think i have found what i want to work with, but let me know if i am in danger of bottlenecking anything or if i should reconsider any of my purchases or any general feedback will definitely be helpful. Thanks everyone!

CPU - Intel Core i3-2120 Processor 3.3 GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel Motherboard LGA 1155
RAM - Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM
Case - Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
Power Supply - Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Series 500W ATX12V V2.3
Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB 1024 MB
Moniter - Asus VS247H-P 23.6-Inch LED Monitor

Stretching the budget to an i5 2500k would make it better, but it seems a decent balance of kit

HDD will probably be the bottleneck, but for more speed, you pay more, so its benefit is questionable if you don't actually need it.

I have been looking at the i5 models and what is the difference between the i5-2500 and the i5-2500k. What type of performance boosts can i expect from moving from the i3 to the i5? Also, what do you mean by the HDD bottlenecking? i think 500 gigs right now is more than what i need. i was considering a ssd but its out of the budget right now, i might upgrade to it later though.

Key difference is if you intend to overclock it.

I'll start at the basics in case you don't know, ignore this bit if you do.

CPUs have a clock speed and multiplier, the k comes with an unlocked multiplier, so you can raise that and also raise the clock speed to overclock, the 2500 multiplier is locked.
Meaning the 2500k can be overclocked to higher speeds.

I actually see nw that you picked a lower end i3, so stretching the budget too far could be a slight issue, but the i5s are generally just, literally, quicker. You pretty much get what you pay for as you go up a range.

When I said HDD bottlenecking, I'm referring to the speed of it.

Ever had a brand new PC, top of the range components and it still locks up? Generally the HDD is to blame. BUT, components can always be added/upgraded laer, but since you have to swap CPUs, as opposed to being able to add new HDDs, its better to initially spend your money on a decent CPU, if you see my logic.

Back
Top Bottom