Desperately need help: Flashing 6950 firmware

GibsonSGKing

Daemon Poster
One of my friends told me he had a reference 6950 card, and wanted me to try to flash the bios to a 6970. So I tried it, and needless to say it didn't work. Then it turns out he /doesn't/ have a reference card, and there is no toggle for the firmware. Now I have a bricked $250 card on my hands.

It's an HIS 6950 IceQ turbo card, and everytime I try to get into windows (I have it in my machine now, in the second slot with my HD5770 in the first slot), it BSOD's in around 5 minutes. I've tried disabling it in the device manager, but it didn't really help. I also can't find the firmware for the card online. I backed it up previously, but it's on the HDD on his computer, that I don't have, and he can't send it to me because he has no video card.

This is really just a mess, and I'd like to avoid trying to RMA it. Can anyone please help me? I'm a bit over my head at the moment. Thanks

How To: Flash 6950 to 6970 Guide

That's the guide that I was using. I tried to use it to flash it to another HIS bios that I found, but it's unlocking the ROM, and then tells me ROM not erased when I try to reflash it. I could really use some help with this.

I know nothing about this flashing, however...

Related to IT in general, i you are given a job that after 2 weeks you still cannot do, and theres a risk of wrecking the equipment belonging to someone else ---> Give it back :3

I know nothing about this flashing, however...

Related to IT in general, i you are given a job that after 2 weeks you still cannot do, and theres a risk of wrecking the equipment belonging to someone else ---> Give it back :3

Yeah, thanks for the condescending advice and all, but this isn't a job. This is just something that my friend wanted me to try for him. We both understood the risks, but I'd really like to fix it if it's possible.

Back
Top Bottom