cpu:

Buy the AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.70GHz AM3 Processor at TigerDirect.ca

ram:

Buy the Kingston Blu HS 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory Module at TigerDirect.ca

HDD:

Buy the Western Digital 500GB Caviar Blue SATA Hard Drive at TigerDirect.ca

Optical Drive:

Buy the Sony Optiarc AD7280S-OB 24x DVDRW Drive at TigerDirect.ca

Any suggestions? Did I pick some bad brands I know I have a tendency to wait until my current rig is completely screwed over and then panicking and picking random cheap parts like I did with this one.

I'm trying to keep it under 500$ too

It looks ok, I presume you're carrying over your graphics card? If I were to suggest something though, it would be to buy the case and psu separately. Pre-installed PSUs are sometimes quite bad (from my own experiences).
I don't know much about amd processors, but I think the phenom II is quite good. Are you going to be using the stock fan for it?
Kingston is a good brand of RAM, however I'd check to see if you could get 1600MHz RAM instead of 1333.
Plus both the HDD and DVDRW look fine, but couldn't you carry over your last HDD to save money?

im installing the psu from this computer and graphics card and secondary hard drive assuming its not defective into the new computer. My primary HDD in this rig will stay in this rig though since it is an old IDE HDD and is slow and small The psu from that case will go in this rig which will be ok since there won't be a video card and 2 hdds bogging it down. And this rig will become a backup

Edit: I may buy 2 sticks of that ram though to get 8gb if I am under budget

Also a quick question, There are 4 ram slots in this mobo but will it be able to eventually support 8gb in each slot for a total of 32gb? The site says it will only support 16gb but I was wondering if there will be or has been a bios update or something to alow the use of 8gb ddr3 sticks in all 4 slots

And yes I will use the stock fan and probably buy some case fans too. My current rig gets quite hot even though it has adequate cooling. The mistake I made there was buying a thermo control case fan because it only goes up to a reasonable speed when the temp hits the 70s which to me is the danger zone.

I picked that case because it looks like it will have quite a few fan ports to add more fans in the future. I will put the thermo control fan in front of the hdds since it typically runs at a low rpm

Last edited:
Just had a quick lookat the mobo and realised just how bad it is. First of all, it will only support 16Gb of ram (2x8 or 4x4). However it only supports ddr3-1066 which means your ram would be incompatible. The motherboard also wouldn't support SLI/CF, if you wanted to do that further down the line. so in other words, you're going to need a better motherboard.

You say you would like 32Gb of ram, but that may be overkill, unless of course you do a lot of video encoding/ graphics editing and so on. 8Gb for instance, is more than sufficient for gaming, and 16Gb is usually good enough for most other things. But as I said get 1600MHz ram, it has better performance/price.

Ok, so here's what I'd go for:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 (or x6 if you really need 6 cores, otherwise I wouldnt recommend it) - Link
Mobo: MSI 970A-G46 - Link
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb 1600MHz - Link
Optical Drive. LiteOn iHas...(the optiarc is fine but this is just personal preference) - Link

Last edited:
No point getting 6 cores unless you are going to be using them all when you get it. A 6-core processor is faster than a 4-core processor when all cores are being used. If only 4 of the cores were being used however, then the 4-core would be faster.
To give you an idea, games have only just started to use 4-cores properly, and even then there's only a handful. So unless you're going to doing some processor-intensive work, just get a 4-core CPU.

WHat's the difference between these athlon 2 x4s and phenom 2 x4s. There's quite a difference in price. I know the phenoms are probably much better but that makes this difference.

If I really wanted to save some cash I'd go with one of those if they were worth it.

Back
Top Bottom