Can't find the source of latency

I want to take a step back from hardware and look at software. Have you tried disabling any firewalls that the computer is running? It might see the router as one network and set one set of rules but strait to the router as another, more un-restrictive network.

Have you configured any settings on the router or did you just plug it up and go?

I plugged it up and go using the disc for the installation instructions. Before the EA4500, I had a E4200 that i did the same thing, plug and go and it worked fine until it started slowing down.

I want to take a step back from hardware and look at software. Have you tried disabling any firewalls that the computer is running? It might see the router as one network and set one set of rules but strait to the router as another, more un-restrictive network.

Yes there were 2 firewalls that I turned off individually one at a time. The Windows computer firewall the first time, and then the router's firewall the second. No positive change in latency has been made.

The Bottom-Up Troubleshooting Approach > CCNP CIT Exam Self-Study: Selecting a Troubleshooting Approach

90% of all networking problems reside at the physical layer.

With that being said, he's loosing half his bandwidth when he plugs into his router meaning something there is off. No basic firewall is going to be able to know what hardware is plugged in and then adapt. Your getting into massive gear at that point (IE, Cisco ASA's, Pix Firewalls, MARS, ect.)

Not trying to be rude or anything, so please don't take it as such.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

When you are connecting to the router, are you using a physical cable or wireless?

With that being said, he's loosing half his bandwidth when he plugs into his router meaning something there is off. No basic firewall is going to be able to know what hardware is plugged in and then adapt. Your getting into massive gear at that point (IE, Cisco ASA's, Pix Firewalls, MARS, ect.)

You'd be surprised. Many commercial grade firewall software can have different rules for different networks. In some cases it goes by the network name (even wired can see the name if you look in the windows 7 network settings), and in others is by the DHCP server/router's IP address. That's what I was referring to.

Back
Top Bottom