Using a crossover cable to access a cisco device

Mr_X1

Solid State Member
Cisco devices are usually accessed using a console cable, with one end attached to the cisco device (router, switch, pix firewall, etc.), using an ethernet connection (RJ-45 connector), and the other end attached to a laptop, using a serial connection. Someone once told me that a crossover cable, with both ends being ethernet (RJ-45 connectors), can be used to access a cisco device connected to a laptop. I've never heard of this before. Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, do you still use a terminal emulator, or do you access it using another method?

Quick Answer:

No. You cannot use a crossover cable to console to any Cisco device.

Long Answer:

Both ends need to have RJ-45 connectors on them, but the ends are not what matters, it's the wiring code inside the connector. You need whats called a rollover cable. They are very simple to make if you have cabling tools.

Easiest way to make one is to strip and prepare a 568B connection on each end meaning (Staring from left most wire going right) (Orange White, Orange, Green White, Blue, Blue White, Green, Brown White, Brown) and make one end normally (RJ-45 Nipple Down) and on the other end flip the connector so the nipple faces up. This will give you a normal 568B on one end and a reverse of the 568B on the other making a rollover cable or "console" cable.

You can do this or just buy a USB-to-Serial adapter and use the cables that Cisco provide if your machine doesn't have a serial cable.

You will still need to use a terminal emulator like Tera Term, Putty or SecureCRT

Last edited:
Someone once told me that a crossover cable, with both ends being ethernet (RJ-45 connectors), can be used to access a cisco device connected to a laptop.
someone lied.

sorry to disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom