Can't find the source of latency

Thomas92

Baseband Member
Happening for 2-3 weeks now. The Internet has been running really slow not only on this computer, but on all the other computers in the household. I'm currently using a Linksys EA4500 router, but had a Linksys E4200 before that. I thought the E4200 was faulty so I took it back and got a replacement. The internet however still remains slow, so we upgraded to the EA4500 but to no success. I tried several methods to find the source and i'll list them and the results.

Resetting modem/router: Internet is fast initially then resumes to being slow
I have unplugged the cable from the modem to the router and put the cable directly to the computer and the Internet is really fast, but it doesn't make sense to me because this was tested on 2 brand new routers. I have tried resetting to defaults on the current EA4500 model and the past E4200 but no changes.

I have ran a traceroute (just heard about it and have little knowledge) with the router and the 2nd hop after the router always shows larger latency. Another traceroute with the modem connected directly to the computer has low latency.

I don't know of any other information I can give but I'm sure I can retrieve it if someone asks for it. So if any help could be provided, i'd appreciate it.

Have you tried using a different cable from the router to your computer? Seeing that taking the cable out of the router and going direct to your computer is fast, I think it's a bad cable.

Yes I have switched the ethernet cable from the router to my computer and that didn't work. I also tried switching the cable from the modem to the router as well but no positive outcome.

Have you tried just plugging straight into the modem and see what happens. I know it will take out the internet but maybe your ISP did not set something up right at the node.

Yes he has (second paragraph).

I'm disappointed the cable wasn't it as that was my only idea. I'll keep mulling over it though and think of something.

Yea it confuses me and I don't want to take it directly to the ISP without confirmation that the problem is on their end.

Also another note, when I open up my router information and go to Status Tab > Ports. Internet port speed is marked at 10/100Mbps while the local port speeds show 3 marked at 1Gbps and 1 in the 10/00Mbps. Idk if that has any effect on the latency issue and I can't seem to recall if that was the same before i got the recent latency.

Is it a wireless router? Is it secured? Try changing the wireless password as you may have neighbors hogging the bandwidth especially since it's really fast when you direct connect.

Idk about it being a wireless router. But the model is a Linksys EA4500 router.

I also have changed the password multiple times and have restricted guest access to zero with the exception of the five family members in the household. However the router already recognizes their devices.

Just an update: A technician from my ISP came over and inspected the router and modem and called some other people who eventually I think, just refreshed the modem. As for the results, the latency doesn't seem to have been removed but looks like it's fluctuating.

It is possible that you got 2 defective routers. I've encountered 2 faulty Linksys EA4500 routers out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom