Help upgrading CPU

Torey

Beta member
I have an 5 - 6 year old system that needs a major CPU upgrade, I know the system can run a lot of the games I play but my CPU just struggles to keep up with the video card. Was wondering if anyone can help me find the best possible upgrade for my system that is compatible with my motherboard.

Specs
Rosewell Destroyer Case
EVGA 9800GTX +
AMD Athlon 64x2 2800+
EVGA 590 SLI AMD Newegg.com - EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
5GB RAM
650W PSU

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

I've found this so far and it is a huge upgrade from my current. Why is 5GB odd? 3 1 gig sticks and 1 2 gig stick.

It's just that RAM is usually an even number, for example 4Gb(2x2), 6Gb(3x2), 8Gb(2x4/4x2), and so on.

As for the CPU, I tend to buy intel, they've always worked for me in the past. However that would therefore require a new mobo. May I ask how much youre willing to spend, and whether or not you would consider a new mobo?

Edit- Plus if you were to get an AM3+ mobo, you would still be able to get a AMD CPU if you would prefer

Last edited:
That board is compatible with the Phenoms?

It's user manual does not state compatibility with Phenoms.

AM2 can be compatible with AM2+ processors if correct BIOS updates have been installed I believe, and that's IF EVGA sent any out.

Back
Top Bottom