Computer stuck on GRUB?

HaydenPerry

Solid State Member
I'm not too sure what GRUB is, but I've booted my computer this morning instead of Windows booting, this weird multi-boot thing called 'GRUB' has booted. I can't seem to get rid of it, any of the commands I do just won't get rid of it. Just trust me when I say I cannot get past or exit out of GRUB while GRUB is on. Unless I switch off my PC of course.

Anyway, here are the things I have done to try and get rid of it:

- Every command on GRUB
- Windows Repair on the Windows installation disc
- bootrec.exe /all 4 of them
- System restore (I had no restore points)

I don't wanna re-install Windows because I have a bunch of files on my hard drive that I want that I don't want to risk losing, so please don't ask me to reinstall Windows.

I was talking to a guy on Yahoo! and he told me to do this bootrec.exe thing, and when I did bootrec.exe /fixmbr the console told me it was fixed, so I rebooted my PC and it just ended up back at GRUB. I tried the other 3 commands, but they all said something like I had no installed OS, which was weird because the Windows installation recognized my Windows version and stuff when I clicked on 'repair'.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much. Just ask me if there is anything you need me to do to get this fixed.

P.S. Here are my computer specs.:

- Biostar BIOS
- Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
- 2GB of RAM
- 1GB graphics memory
- Some dual core AMD processor
I can't really remember the rest, sorry... I can't get into my computer

Using your installation disc, go into repair using command prompt.

From there you can run commands such as the following:

chkdsk (/r)
fixboot
fixmbr

Thank you for your reply, but fixboot, fixmbr and chkdsk /r didn't work.

However, chkdsk on it's own did work, but it came up with a load of text. Is there anything specific you would like me to copy down? Cause I had a read through it and it doesn't really look like it did anything useful.

chkdsk literally marks some sectors if they are bad, chkdsk /r tries to fix them.

I think you can install the OS over the top of the current one without affecting the data, but I would not like you to completely take my word on that :\

chkdsk literally marks some sectors if they are bad, chkdsk /r tries to fix them.

I think you can install the OS over the top of the current one without affecting the data, but I would not like you to completely take my word on that :\

That didn't really help, but thanks anyway :)

Did you ever have a multi-boot setup on your computer or is Windows the only operating system you ever installed?

Check the boot device priority. Make sure the computer isn't trying to boot from something else.

If you boot the Windows 7 Installation Disk you'll get 3 choices. Click on "Repair Your Computer" to gain access to the System Recovery window.

Next choose "Command Prompt"

Then run "bootsect /nt60 C:\" or "bootsect /nt60 ALL" to repair the system partition or all partitions.

Eject the DVD, and restart computer.

I am going to assume that you did not dual-boot on your own, since you don't know what GRUB is.

Basically, someone got access to your computer, and installed another OS on it.

GRUB wipes out Windows's own method of boot managing. This is not a problem.

The problem comes if you try to remove GRUB without putting a boot manager back. Your computer would not boot up if you do so.

So you basically have two choices at your disposal.

You could just leave things as is. But you might want to figure out how GRUB got there.

Or you could follow Rackmountsales (#7)'s advice and replace GRUB with Windows's boot manager.

Back
Top Bottom