Should I upgrade my hard drive?

skiiermike

Baseband Member
I know this is an age old question but I'm looking for some real experience.

I currently have a 1TB 5400 rpm HD in my ACER 5750.

The computer its self is plenty fast being an i7 with 8 gigs of ram but the HD leaves me wanting.

I keep eyeballing the SSD's, but there just to expensive for the amount of space. I have read that they will come down in price soon. :confused:

Tonight I found the Seagate Momentus XT 7200RPM 32mb Cache solid state hybrid drive.

Will something like this offer a large increase in speed or should I wait for SSD's to come down a little more?

Thanks for the help.

Would be fun to know. Check it out and let us know. I've seen those hybrid drives and can't imagine they're much more than a gimmick but that is just an assumption. The fact that your spindle on that new guy'll be 7200 as opposed to 5400 should be cause for high hopes enough.

Thanks for the response. To me it's not the second or two where it matters. A friend of mine's windows 7 boots in like 20 seconds on a SSD where mine takes about a minute.

its up to you from my exp its not just start up times that a slow hard drive will effect.

iv just done my uni dissertation witch was over 100mb word file saving that and with word set for atomated back ups it was slow as anything and will be putting a ssd in my new build comp[ared with my current 5400rpm drive will make a big diffrence to me.

so if you saving and edditing big fills i would say yes to a faster drive

It's not just the fact it's an SSD, in order to see a massive improvement you need a decent one.

Bear in mind, SSDs DO wear out, as they have a limited number of write cycles/Do more work due to technical reasons.

I'd get a pure SSD, something like an Agility 3 for example.

Back
Top Bottom