Skype is the only connection that works on my laptops wireless connection

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
Internet explorer, chrome and other programs that connect such as skypes daily updates do not want to connect but Skype signs in and i can make chats. Everything else wont connect.

I have set the connection to automatically find details in internet explorer settings and have used the Norton removal tool to remove all traces of Norton on the system. I have also disabled the windows firewall so now there is nothing i can find that could be stopping the connection.

I done a repair and diagnose and it came up saying about DCHP. I have tried two different routers and all other computers are fine and when the laptop is plugged in via Ethernet everything works again ???????????

Assuming you have no software firewall that is blocking the wireless, try this:

Download the latest wireless driver for the laptop but do not install it yet. If you happen to have an intel-brand wireless card, I would advise getting that driver from intel's site. Again, do not install it yet.

In device manager, right-click your wireless card and select uninstall. On the window that comes up, check off the option to delete the current driver and then OK. This will destroy all the current profiles for wireless networks which should get rid of a bad setting.

Install the new drivers and connect.

Lovely thanks for the replies. I shall get testing right away :)

I will let you know soon :)

Oh and no i am unable to ping any site in cmd at all. just get error.

and is that link for vista aswell as xp ?

Yes there's a Vista/7 section closer to the bottom. It's interesting that you can't ping either. Does anything work when Skype's turned off and closed (fully exited)?

Post results from the tests.

jmacavali Its all sorted now. I did try closing Skype. It was a very strange one that skype was working but everything else didn't want to but that's computers for you :) thanks for your input also :)

celegorm you are a star !!!

Why I didn't think of doing that i do not know :)

Cheers buddy

It's not something I ever thought of either until the same thing happened to me. That was my last, desperate, attempt and making it work without reinstalling windows.

Glad it's working for you!

Back
Top Bottom