HP printer

Wired Earp

Baseband Member
I have a 2nd hand HP printer from 2004, the B210a Photosmart +, but it doesn't have the installation CD or instruction manual. I downloaded the installation software from the HP site but my Dell doesn't see it. What went wrong? And I tried ordering it but neither of my credit cards worked.

You need to download the driver. But regardless the computer should at least recognize that you plugged it in. Are u sure it works properly? Is it USB? Does a different USB device work on that port? Any other pc you could try it on?

The driver may have been downloaded with it. It has its own USB. And the computer does recognize it, it just can't find it.

The driver may have been downloaded with it. It has its own USB. And the computer does recognize it, it just can't find it.

Wired, I was dealing with a problem like that last week my sister in law was trying to do what you were doing and after helping her I found out that she was downloading the wrong drivers. She was downloading it for windows xp but she was downloading it for 32 bit instead of 64 bit. When I did it right it worked. Make sure you are downloading the right one.

Good suggestion.

Am I'm understanding right that when you plug in the USB cable, the computer finds the printer and asks for the driver. But when you load the driver, it is incorrect and the computer won't install the printer?

Verify that you are downloading the correct version of the driver for your OS.

I checked and the driver was downloaded with it. The site has only 2 options Basic Driver and Full Feature. I had downloaded the 1st and now I tried the 2nd but it didn't work either. It doesn't say anything about bit numbers for Windows XP. So when the window that says new material detected shows up ther's a browse bar and that's where the problem is because it always says only Cancel in the browse window no matter what I choose.

Did the software you download have a setup file included with it? If it did, double click to run that setup file instead of browsing to it via the "New Hardware" window. You might also have to extract the files before you can browse to them (it depndeds on how they were packaged for download).

Yes, extract the contents of the folder you downloaded into a folder on the desktop. Then open the folder on your desktop and see if there is a setup or install file (it should be a .exe file). If there is not a setup file in that folder, then when you follow the "found new hardware" wizard, you need to browse to your desktop and select the folder that you extracted the files too.

It doesn't allow me to choose any files so it doesn't work. I really would need the CD. It really is 3rd hand and the original owner is looking for the CD but he may not find it so I think I'll probably have to buy a new printer.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom