do DVD drives connect to SATA ports like HDD?

stevethebrain

In Runtime
conecting a internal DVD drive as an external?

?.can I connect a 2nd Blue ray DVD drive (in addtion to my DVD drive) to any of the 3 remaining SATA ports?

?.if yes to how long can the SATA wire actuelly be? I was planning on obtaining a internal BD and using it externally.

?. can I also extend the power supply cable for external use?

?. also curious if a OEM BD drive can be used w/ Win7.
note this PC did'nt come w/ a BD player.

Link to new PC
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AM3910-U4012 (PT.SDX02.086) Desktop PC Intel Core i3 550(3.20GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Thanks STB

Last edited:
1. Yes

2. SATA cables can be up to about 3 feet long.

3. You can. I'm not sure if they sell extension power cable though.

4. Windows 7 and Blu-Ray drives play nice together.

Why do you want to use an internal drive externally? That computer does have a spot for a second optical drive. They do sell external Blu-Ray drives that connect to USB and there isn't much of a difference in price.

Why do you want to use an internal drive externally? That computer does have a spot for a second optical drive. They do sell external Blu-Ray drives that connect to USB and there isn't much of a difference in price.

Or on that same line they sell external enclosures for them that will do the same thing if there is a bluray drive that you love.

Quick fun fact so you don't learn the hard way like I did, Windows 7 cannot play blurays natively. You'll need to find a program that does play it.

this computer is mainly a home theater HTPC and a secondary PC.

I intead on hiding the PC behind my TVs cabinet so I will be kindof diffuacult to insert DVDs or BDs w/ a external player I can place the drive where it's more acesessable, would prefer to do this w/ both DVD & BD optical drives

however will be satisfied w/ externalizing a BD player.

Plan for the BD drive is mainly for ripping BDs to HDD.

celegorm yes I have read that the W7 won't play BD natively so what's the best way to have a BD
1.buy OEM drive then BD software. or

2.buy none OEM BD player that has it's own software?

the USB BD sounds much easier of me than dealing w/ SATA and power cables plus I could then use the SATA port for more HDD storage room.

any recommendations w/ links on a USB BD player.

Thanks Guy's I'll post some images of PCs location later.

Back
Top Bottom