Cheapest i3/i5 or AMD Similar builds

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
I'm looking at building a new PC. I want to use an i3 or i5 or AMD similar processor. 4-8 GB RAM. I have a video card and OS. I'll need the Processor/RAM/MOBO/Case/Power Supply/and HDD.

This is the best I could do but I'd like to lower the cost if I can. Also, I'm not sure if it's even that good of a build. Just everyday use. I want to be able to connect to it remotely from my iPad and watch movies though.

EDIT:
Ok. So after some more editing, I was able to get the price down to $306. Take a look and see if it looks ok and if it will work together. Thanks!

Case
Hard Drive
MOBO
Power Supply
RAM
Processor

Last edited:
Do you subscribe to newegg's daily emails? the last few days they've been doing shell shockers in the morning of an I3 combo that pretty much contains all of that.

You could go for cheaper RAM. You're not building a gamer so no point in the high-cooling RAM. Try this instead: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

While I don't have anything negitive to say about the PSU, I still personally prefer OCZ and Corsair supplies. If you can afford $10-20 more, check these out: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Power Supplies, Power Supplies, OCZ Technology, Corsair, 400W, 430W, 450W, 460W, 465W, 470W, 480W, 485W, 500W, 520W, ...

Drive looks good and case is all preference so I won't change that.

As for proc/mobo I'm not an AMD guy so maybe someone else can give their opinion on that area.

Anyone else wanna post some thoughts. Here is what my final build is going to be unless someone can improve on it or give me some more suggestions.

My thoughts about it right now: I have to check my vid card I have to make sure it is PCI-Express. Even if it doesn't work, the MOBO has HDMI out (I have my PC hooked to my TV but don't game on it or use it as a DVR). I have to check on a few hard drives I have at home and might be able to use one of those instead of buying one. The money saved from the Hard Drive could be put toward a better Processor.

Personally we are looking at a Trip-Core processor with 8 GB of RAM for $320. That's pretty darn good in my opinion but this is my first real attempt at a build so please help me out if there is room for improvement (as long as we aren't talking about much more money).

Case - HEC 6K11BB Black 0.8mm SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
MOBO - BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Power Supply - COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply
RAM - Team Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model TED38192M1333C9DC
Processor - AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX455WFGMBOX

Overall, looks good. For that cheap of a build I'm not sure that I'd change anything else

Looks like a nice budget build to me. Take a look at the barebones kits that Tigerdirect offers. They are usually pretty cheap and have similar specs. I know some of them use that exact motherboard.

That Biostar board is a good budget board bot if you're looking to overclock or unlock extra cores, I would look for a different board.

Back
Top Bottom