~£500 Computer build ratings/advice

swest1000

Solid State Member
Hey,
My not so tech-savvy friend has asked me to price up a computer for gaming at 1440x900 and general use. He has an OS disk already, so its just all the hardware.

Budget: £500

Here's what I have:

CPU: - i3 2120 3.3 Ghz - £95 - Ebuyer.com
Mobo: - [New release- Z77 Chipset- has native USB 3.0 and SATA III]-
MSI Z77A-G43 -£76 - Ebuyer.com

GPU: - Sapphire HD 6870 - £127 - Amazon.co.uk
HDD: - Seagate 500GB SATA-III Barracuda-[+ £2 SATA3 cable] £63- Ebuyer.com
PSU: - Corsair 500w - £45- Ebuyer.com
RAM: - Corsair [2x4gb] Red Vengeance- £40 - Ebuyer.com
Case: Casecom 6788- £28 - Ebuyer.com
Wireless network card: TP-Link Wireless-N150 PCIe card- £10- Ebuyer.com

Fans:
Coolermaster TurbineMaster 120mm [back exhaust]- £11- Ebuyer.com
Coolermaster Sickleflow 120mm [front intake, filtered by front case mesh]- £6- Ebuyer.com
Xilence RedBlade 80mm [side intake] [+ £2 fan filter] - £5- Ebuyer.com

Total: £506 [I'll give him the 6 quid :L]

All thoughts/tips/ratings/criticism welcome

Thanks

Nice. That seems to be a well thought out build. You have my vote. :) BTW, you might be able to save more cash if you go for AMD, and despite what some Intel fanatics might say, they're still kick-ass.

@Der-PC-Mann, you have a point there about AMD, but Intel, i dont know, is amazing ! haha, everyones of course entitled to their own opinion, but thats just mine ! i used an AMD processor a few years ago, it fried after two days, dont ask me how, im intel all the way now, :)

O.O Unlucky, but is it fair to let the experience of one AMD device fail ruin your entire view on AMD as a whole? :| I've had many computer devices go belly up, but that doesn't mean I rule out computers and go.. for.. IDK.. consoles.. eek.. xD (I'm assuming that's why you're Intel all the way :p)

I'm sorry but it all seems good apart from the Case. I do admit that Casecom have some good reviews on cases, but if you could fork out an extra £20-30 you will get a case of much better quality and airflow. They might even be more aesthetically pleasing.

@Der-PC-Mann, you've got a great point there, but i guess its with most things, once you have a bad experience, its either forget and move on, or dont take the risk, i just did a build for my family, and i used intel i5 2400, just to be on the safe side, but i can see where you are coming from :)

and the battle between AMD and intel begins o_O

WHO SHALL BE THE VICTOR? I will play the part of being the person in the middle who supplies both sides. I love both and cant seem to choose though currently i am using AMD
EDIT:
To original poster:
Nice build

Back
Top Bottom