Granting permissions to a folder but not the Drive

WhereBob

In Runtime
We are running Windows Server 2003 and have XP pro and Windows 7 pro on the client computers. I'd like to be able to grant permissions to users to this one folder (call it folder1) on a mapped F:\ drive but not to the mapped drive itself or any other folders and then map the folder on each clients computer. Can someone remind me how to do this, guess I have been out of school too long.

Thanks in advance

Right click the folder, select "Share", assign it a share name. Set the "Share" permissions to "Full Control" for "Everyone", then set the "Security" permissions as desired. I usually give "Full Control" to "Domain Admins", "Change" rights to whatever users/groups need to edit stuff in the folder, and "Read only" rights to people who need to see the files but not change them. Map the clients to this share, and you're good to go.

Yeah...most companies aren't as granular with permissions as I am, but the types of companies I have worked for are REALLY picky on security, and rightly so.

BTW: I would avoid using such a low drive letter as F: for mapped drives. If you ever get a PC that has a card reader, it will have local drives going to about H: or so. J: is the lowest letter I'll use...exception: I use B: on my admin accounts to map to my install share, where all the good stuff resides...my users don't get this drive. :)

Thanks for the reply.

I know how to set permissions for a folder but my concern was if I granted access and mapped that folder on their PC I wondered if they would be able to bump up out of the folder and on to the drive. But now that I think about it, when they bump up it would put them back on to their own computer again...... right?

BTW: I would avoid using such a low drive letter as F: for mapped drives. If you ever get a PC that has a card reader, it will have local drives going to about H: or so. J: is the lowest letter I'll use.. :)
Actually that was just an example. The real drive letter happens to be U:\ but I didn't think of the fact of card readers, flash drives, etc popping in and out all the time so that is good to know, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom