Gaming upgrade for my HP

Friendliness factor/ vernacular of thread(s)

• beginner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Awsome!

• dont care

• Total voters

Halfull

Solid State Member
Hello.
I am currently using a store bought HP pavilian with an Intel i3 2120. I dont have a laptop but I am considering purchasing one for upgrading my HP.
I've never done more than add RAM to a computer. On that note, I'm rather lost when it comes to compatibilty issues, the right amount of memory for your system, etc.
I am wanting to turn my pavilian into and gaming machine, all while still using as a desktop.
Wireless networking is an issure, currently using a USB for wireless.
I have no HDMI ports.
My monitor is alright but everything else needs upgraded.
Money is an issue but I'm willing to put everything I have into it.
I need suggestions with;
-motherboards, graphics cards, RAM, disc drive, wireless and would prefer to keep the i3 if possible, keeping in mind I wanna play games like BF3 with no problems whatsoever, the ultimate gaming experience.

Please suggest website, specifics hardware and software and information in general.

Research: Please let me know if you spot any problems;
- Asus LGA 1155 Z68 Motherboard P8z68-V Pro/Gen3
- Phenom II X4 9965 Black AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB
- Corsair V. 8GB RAM
- Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
- West Digi. 1.5T 64 MB cache
- Corsair HX Pro 750 watt 80+ power supply (may be a problem)
- Asus 24x DVD-RW serial ATA internal OEM drive
- Cooler Master Hyper N520 Mirror Finished Copper Base
- Cisco Wireless-N PCI/ E4200 Router
- Asus PCI 5.1 sound card
- Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX case

roughly, under 1400

motherboard and cpu are not compatible. the motherboard is for intel and the cpu is amd

if going with intel, grab this for cpu in my opinion: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

or if you want amd, change your motherboard to a 990fx chipset with am3+ cpu socket the phenom II x4 is a good cpu but recommend going with an fx 4100 or 6100

You dont really need the sound card because the onboard sound with newer motherboards come with jacks for surround sound

The i5 would be nice but do I need it? I am trying to just add to my existing HP. Maybe a new MB and hdmi pci slot. Im worried about space and heat. A graphics card upgrade thats campatible w intel i3.
- EVGA Geforce GTX 550 (anything newer)

If I were to do this would heating be a problem? RAM is a must upgrade because you can find them cheap. Motherboard upgrade? And could I have two separate hard drives that run as one? A 750gb hard drive.

I imagine I can always switch cases if necessary but I want gaming and function utmost. Being able to run a CAD system would be a dream come true.

Complete update:
Intel i5 2500k
Asus LGA 1155
Seagate 1.5T gr.
EVGA gtx 560
Corsair HX 850w PS
Noctua 6 dual heatpipe
Asus 24x DVD

Also got a case with some nice LEDs to look official. I read about a Blu-ray player, any thoughts?
This setup should put my current computer in the trash. I should be abler to have hooked to a comp screen and my Tv. It can be all personal with a touch of gaming. Hoping the i5 can work with a future CAD system.

heat should not be an issue and if you want to run CAD, you will need a graphics card with lots of memory, minimum amount of 1 gb and the i5 would make it run even smoother.

Yes there is a way for you to use 2 hard drives, one as the OS and the other as a storage device.

When you say upgrading from your HP, do you mean that you are building a whole new computer or adding to the HP and using the existing case? I am unsure if the motherboard and the new psu will fit in the HP case because companies such as HP, Dell, etc. make components just for their products and are some times incompatible with aftermarket components such as the psu and motherboard

Thanks!!! Really!

I actually want to take my existing HDD, I actually have another HDD from a laptop Id like to use too; 3 HHD in one?
But ill take the HDD from my HP and buy another, and just buy a new case. The fan I listed is a monster.
I have plenty of time, say before the beginning of 2013, to buy this stuff. Ill be on the lookout for the most bang for my buck when it comes to a new graphics card. But Im really happy about everything else.

"or if you want amd, change your motherboard to a 990fx chipset with am3+ cpu socket the phenom II x4 is a good cpu but recommend going with an fx 4100 or 6100"

Highly agree with Mac; save money and get much better 'bang for your buck'. The FX-4100 is an amazing bit of kit, so I highly recommend that. 990FX motherboard is also amazing, but considerably overkill for you, unless you plan on SLI-ing plenty and overclocking substantially, etc. Steer clear of Phenom II x4, unless you want heat issues; the FX-4100 is far superior, IMO.

"I read about a Blu-ray player, any thoughts"

My thoughts are: don't bother with it; save money. DVDs are still amazing quality.

"I have plenty of time, say before the beginning of 2013, to buy this stuff."

Then I recommend waiting before you buy anything, for the prices to drop and/or for newer hardware to come out.

"or if you want amd, change your motherboard to a 990fx chipset with am3+ cpu socket the phenom II x4 is a good cpu but recommend going with an fx 4100 or 6100"

Highly agree with Mac; save money and get much better 'bang for your buck'. The FX-4100 is an amazing bit of kit, so I highly recommend that. 990FX motherboard is also amazing, but considerably overkill for you, unless you plan on SLI-ing plenty and overclocking substantially, etc. Steer clear of Phenom II x4, unless you want heat issues; the FX-4100 is far superior, IMO.

"I read about a Blu-ray player, any thoughts"

My thoughts are: don't bother with it; save money. DVDs are still amazing quality.

"I have plenty of time, say before the beginning of 2013, to buy this stuff."

Then I recommend waiting before you buy anything, for the prices to drop and/or for newer hardware to come out.

I just built up a pc with a amd 6100 processor and for gaming it sucks my i3 rig is better. I wanted to get the amd chip to play around with it and overclock hoping the reviews were wrong . Sure you can overclock the hell out of it but it still sucks compared to my Intel stuff for gaming my i3 with the same gpu blows it away a dual core psu.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

If you are planning on two hard drives go with the ssd for windows and other programs its blazing fast. When I installed my ssd on my pc I could not believe the change windows runs so much better it boots up in like 20 seconds the games start faster its great.

I just built up a pc with a amd 6100 processor and for gaming it sucks my i3 rig is better. I wanted to get the amd chip to play around with it and overclock hoping the reviews were wrong . Sure you can overclock the hell out of it but it still sucks compared to my Intel stuff for gaming my i3 with the same gpu blows it away a dual core psu.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

If you are planning on two hard drives go with the ssd for windows and other programs its blazing fast. When I installed my ssd on my pc I could not believe the change windows runs so much better it boots up in like 20 seconds the games start faster its great.

Individual results will vary

Back
Top Bottom