Going from Win 7 to Win XP

Ned

Solid State Member
My Sony laptop came with Win 7. I would like to do away with it and install Win XP.
How do I go about it?
Thanks,
Ned

My Sony laptop came with Win 7. I would like to do away with it and install Win XP.
How do I go about it?
Thanks,
Ned

I can't imagine why you would want to do that, but get yourself a full version XP installation CD or DVD(an upgrade version won't work as you are installing from scratch and essentially downgrading anyways), boot your laptop from it, and follow the prompts to install XP. When it gets to the hard drive options portion of the process make sure you delete all existing partitions before installing. That is, unless you're talking about setting up your laptop to dual boot, which I don't think you are.

I also can't imagine why you'd want to do this but before you start the XP install as stated by cboucher above, check on the Sony site to see if there are XP drivers available for your laptop. If not, you will need to track down drivers from various mfrs websites for things like video and wifi.

Sony site to see if there are XP drivers available for your laptop. If not, you will need to track down drivers from various mfrs websites for things like video and wifi.

Good Point, I personally made this mistake with an install of XP, nothing worked Wifi USB Ports Ethernet, i had no connectivity to even download updates.

So I also suggest this and make sure you have a spare CD in case the only thing thats works is the disk drive.

full version XP, boot your laptop from it, and follow the prompts to install XP. When it gets to the hard drive options portion of the process make sure you delete all existing partitions before installing.

You will have to do a Clean Install, and windows 7 wont let you install XP using its application (incase you already tried to through the OS).
I would say click to format the partition Windows 7 on before installing, this way you know everything is gone.

If you want to keep all your data, download easeus. Its really good partition manager which will allow you to create a partition big enough for you to put your files on.

Also, if you downgrading to XP due to compatibility problems with Win 7,
Right click on the application, Properties, Compatibility, Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP.

Or Download Windows Virtual PC and XP, If you have ultimate its free.
Windows Virtual PC: Home Page

You can install XP on it but first of all you have to change option in cmos setting and under processing the installation of XP make sure you delete all partitions before installing. You have to check Sony site for XP drivers available for your laptop or may be the drivers CD/DVD will work which comes with your Laptop.

I can understand perfectly well why you would want to do that, and I love Windows 7. I'd do what the other suggested, but check your laptop actually supports Windows XP, or you'll run into a lot of issues, also, you will probably need to go into the BIOS and put S-ATA into compatibility mode or whatever option it is that you need to change, assuming you're using S-ATA, which you probably are.

G'luck.

Back
Top Bottom