how to build a computer from scratch

Um.. "Building a computer is just like legos, if a part seems like it will fit, it probably is the right spot for the part." - That's a joke, right? I mean... it's a computer, not Lego; they're not anything alike, and if you plonk a part in a place that seems similar, you'll probably just f**k it up, so this is probably one the daftest things I've seen on this site, so far. Now I understand why all these kids are begging mom 'n pops for computer parts. lol

"It is as easy as legos, especially with my guide." - Lol... 10 years dealing with computer hardware and I can comfortably say that I've never claimed it was as easy as Lego, and for the record, when I was an ickle kid, I was playing with Meccano as well as Lego, so I know the difference. :p

Aside from that, the guide seems good, although I saw no safety measures or measures to keep from damaging components, which are essential bits of knowledge when it comes to building; I skimmed the guide, so I apologise if I missed these somewhere. It's fine and dandy to build a computer, but doing it right is entirely a different matter, and that analogy goes for most things in life.
Well maybe you can add some useful hints on safety and ways of not damaging components as stated by your self......

This will be brief, because I'm hungover...

PC Building Precautions | Build Your Own PC

A quick Google reveals the upper link, which appears to shed light on some things to keep in mind when building or just tinkering with PC parts in general.

Some things that off-hand come to mind, is to avoid wearing jewelry that could conduct electricity or hook onto parts of the computer thus damaging it; as a general rule, I take off any jewelry that could interfere, and I tie back my hair and make sure to ground myself before dealing with live parts. The following link elaborates on this sort of thing a little more:

Anti-Static Methods | eHow.com

I tie back my hair and make sure to ground myself before dealing with live parts.
This one tip not recommended to any one....
Do not work live on any electrical component at all regardless if it is high or low voltage.

Obviously grounding is meant for protection of components from discharge of static electricity build up only.

True that; that's more of a general thing that I thought was important for a computer. Is it fair to assume everyone is without a doubt going to manage to build it all up perfectly without the need to open it all up again and fix something?

Back
Top Bottom