Voltage Issue? New Computer

Purple-Dizzy

Beta member
Hello, I just built a new computer well not new just new to me anyway I decided to check out the voltages and my 12V seems to be fluxing from 11.07 to 11.77 is this normal?

Note: My PSU is 250V and my computer build recommends 350v is this the problem? sorry about the huge file the link is http://i.imgur.com/LelP2.jpg to get a better look at it if it's too big
LelP2.jpg

Hello, I just built a new computer well not new just new to me anyway I decided to check out the voltages and my 12V seems to be fluxing from 11.07 to 11.77 is this normal?

Note: My PSU is 250V and my computer build recommends 350v is this the problem? sorry about the huge file the link is http://i.imgur.com/LelP2.jpg to get a better look at it if it's too big
LelP2.jpg
The drop to 11.07 volt could be due to voltage drop under load, this could be an indicator of the PSU not up to your power requirements for the PC.
Recommend you upgrade to a higher wattage PSU for your PC.

Here is a list to work out your PSU requirements.
POWER REQUIREMENTS for computers

This guide will give you an idea as to what capacity Power Supply you will require when building your own or upgrading your PC.

Add up the power needs of all your components of your computer to find out what size PSU you need.
Aim for around 50-70% of total capacity which should still leave room for upgrade expansion.

MOTHERBOARD
A small board for compact PC's 25W
An average Desktop motherboard 35W
A high end motherboard 50W

INTEL PROCESSOR
Core 2 Duo 8xxx 65W
Core 2 Duo 9xxx 95W
Core 2 Quad 95W
Core 2 Duo Extreme 150W
Core I3 75W
core I5 95W
Core I7-8xx 95W
Core I7-9xx 130W

AMD PROCESSOR
Athlon II X2 'e' 45w
athlon II X2 65W
Athlon II X3 45W
Athlon II X4 95W
Phenom II X2 80W
Phenom II X3 95W
Phenom II X4 X6 140w

Graphics card
AGP or lesser with no extra power 50W
PCI-E with no seperate power supply 75W
PCI_E with 6 pin connector 150W
PCI-E with two 6 pin connector 225W
PCI-E with 8 pin connector 225W
PCI-E with 8 pin and 6 pin connector 300W

MEMORY
Single stick of DDR 6W
Two sticks of DDR 12W
Four sticks of DDR 24W
Two sticks of DDR2 8w
Four sticks of DDR2 16w
Two sticks DDR3 6W
Four sticks DDR3 12w
Six sticks of DDR3 18w

Fans 5w to 10W

Optical Drives 10W

IDE Hard Drives 15W

SATA Hard Drives 10W

Solid State Hard Drives 10W

As mentioned it will give you an idea of your power supply requiremnts

Brand name Power supplies your choice.

Cheers

Yep, I second what MMM said. 500watt sounds like a good plan.

BTW, the Phenom II x4 uses 125w... or rather... my previous 965 did. I also disagree with the graphics section, and I think that it should be higher for most of them. My card uses one 6-pin cable, for example, however it can reach over 220w.

Always make sure to give a little extra room, because this will... I guess you could say... safeguard you a little, and will prevent humming noises from the PSU components being stressed, and may also prevent heat which means a quieter PSU fan.

Back
Top Bottom