What's the best computer you ever had?

Luke, is that you? if not disregard the question.

Anyways, my current build is the most beastly i have ever had.

great topic.
in 2010 the best PC i have ever USED was MY own custom build PC.
now it is not the best on the marked, but it has been upgraded with a GTX 570 and RAID0 HDD's.

later this year i might upgrade to ivy bridge cpu and a motherboard supporting the new chipset.
but right now i don't see why i should upgrade.
i have first generation i7 (overclocked) asus rampage extreme motherboard, dominator trible channel RAM (overclocked)
and as stated before: gtx 570 and raid0. all in a coolermaster haf 932 case with neon light.
also 3d screen and up to date expensive headset, mouse and keyboard.

so what is your upcoming setup's specs?

Tell you what I do know and considering. First, for those that don't know, Ivy Bridge means USB 3.0. It'll be be a Core i7 desktop, have a SSD and probably an external HDD for backup. Most likely a dual monitor, possibly a 24" monitor instead. For an OS, I favor Windows 7 as there are question marks regarding Windows 8. Any comments?

Last edited:
so... what about the RAM and GPU. and are you going with a high-end motherboard?
what about the case and accessories? are you considering a 3d monitor?

so... what about the RAM and GPU. and are you going with a high-end motherboard?
what about the case and accessories? are you considering a 3d monitor?

Whoa, a great question so a step at a time.

In regards to RAM, I had a computer some time ago. Whatever RAM it had I added on to for a more desirable level. With Ivy Bridge I'm certain it'll have more RAM than I had before and if it's not sufficient, then I'll just build it up as well.

With GPU I'm not a gamer, but nevertheless I appreciate great graphics so I'll get the best card I can afford.

With the MOBO I'll go with whatever comes with the computer and if it's not sufficient, I'll upgrade later.

To be more definite, it'll be a desktop. It'll have a SDD plus a USB 3.0 - 3 TB HDD. For now I'm not interested in a printer, but if I'm offered a printer for 10 cents like Dell did the last time, then I'll get one.

With a 3D monitor, I'll answer this way. Tried 3DTV at Best Buy. I liked it, but I'm not comfortable with the goggles (not because of eyestrain). When I can get a monitor without the goggles at an affordable price, then I'll go for 3D, but for now I'll settle for a dual monitor.

To let you know, I have a knowledgable friend who is advising me. Plus many of these things are upgradeable and I can always change my mind.

very nice ^^
the 3d monitor on my computer is only used in some games. i just needed a new monitor, and i thought i would get a 3d monitor with lightboost from Nvidia.
i use the old 24 inch monitor as a second monitor. it's mostly tuned off, but i is nice to have.

My ThinkPad 240X. I used it 24/7 as server (HTTP and FTP) for more than 7 years. It was a beast! The keyboard actually died before the rest of it did.

Back
Top Bottom