Do you think that basic math is a dry subject?

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
Nowadays I see Sudoku puzzles being sold all over at supermarkets and elsewheres. So I think that math has gotten more popular.

Yes it was. In different forms. You can hardly call sodoku math. Few people learned how to count to 9 from Sodoku.

But you do have to count to nine (and above) to do Sudoku. Then you have to know some logic also to do Sudoku.

We can debate as to what math is as even the top mathematicians don't have a definition for it. I think it's fair to say that Sudoku has raised interest in math, but not to the point of excitement.

I think even the top mathematicians could agree that Sudoku is not Math. It's a great logic puzzle, but it's not math. Besides this seems like a sillly point to be argueing about...

I think even the top mathematicians could agree that Sudoku is not Math. It's a great logic puzzle, but it's not math. Besides this seems like a sillly point to be argueing about...

What he said. It's a logic puzzle, not a maths puzzle - the two can be somewhat related but are definitely separate areas.

I have a book titled Before Sudoku by Block and Tavares where they characterize the Sudoku puzzles as "simple math" which I agree with since you're using the most basic math skill of addition to make sure that all of the rows, columns and diagonals add up to the same number.

What fascinates me is how the public has gotten so interested in this type of puzzle so under the circumstances it looks like that math has gotten a bit more interesting thanks to Sudoku.

Last edited:
Also you shouldn't forget when doing difficult sudoku, you have to apply basic probability skills in order to work out some of the unknown empty spaces.

Inor軍曹;12094139 said:
Also you shouldn't forget when doing difficult sudoku, you have to apply basic probability skills in order to work out some of the unknown empty spaces.

I haven' t done Sudoku, but if it were me, I'd just try numbers while looking for patterns.

Back
Top Bottom