My computer turns on but isnt booting up?

MeenieMuffin

Beta member
I recently rebuilt my computer because I though it was just no use anymore due to it not booting up anymore , but I put everything back together, and once again I'm having the same problem. I turn on my computer (yes, I properly plugged everything back in) and it's simply not booting up. Everything turns on, Fans, HDD's, but it's just that some things like my USB bluetooth adapter (plugged directly into USB port on the motherboard), isn't shining blue like it usually does nor are the lights from some PCI devices that I installed into it. It's as if they're not receiving power or something, but my CPU fan turns on and so does the exhaust fan. And nothing shows up on the monitor, it says no signal and it's plugged into the motherboards VGA port. Another thing I noticed when my computer actually worked, was that when I turn it on the Fans go at full speed for a few seconds then when it boots up they slow down automatically to a steady, normal rate... It's not doing that now. I hear a small high pitched sound from the HDD when it powers on but that's normal for then to do on my PC atleast I know they're working fine. I don't know what to do, I've tried troubleshooting it so many times and so many ways, what can I do? It's no easy task but ill do what it takes to fix my baby. She's pretty old but ran programs and games at a very good quality, played Gears of War, Dead Space 1 & 2, Borderlands, etc in HD with the normal occasional minor frame skips. Runs a single core AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.2 ghz, 2gb standard DDR RAM, and GPU Is an NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT xfx. Please help me, bros . Oh and also, I get no Beep codes, never heard how they sound, but I definitely don't hear anything resembling a beeping sound coming from my motherboard.

May be a power supply issue. Do you have a spare power supply you can test with? Or maybe one you can borrow from another PC to see if that is the issue before spending money on a new power supply?

May be a power supply issue. Do you have a spare power supply you can test with? Or maybe one you can borrow from another PC to see if that is the issue before spending money on a new power supply?
When my computer worked I bought a new case and with the case came a 450 watt PSU, no problems there, a wail later, I found that one of the cords from the 4-pin mother board power thing was torn out from one of the little sockets, since then it hasn't been working the same, I really hope it's not the mother board, but I mean everything still turns on, Fans and even the CPU Fans (sexy looking) blue LED lights turn on and their hooked directly into the motherboard, so I'm just dumbfounded by this.

Try to remove your memory card (RAM) and place it in another memory slot on the motherboard may be this will help you.

Can you be more specific, when you say it doesn't boot up? Such as, does it get to post, or is it just the OS that isn't loading?

In my experience, when this happens it's either due to the wrong BIOS settings (simply reset via a jumper on the motherboard, or the battery method) dodgy CPU, or simply the PSU not giving off enough power. You said you rebuilt the PC, so I assume you changed the processor? If so, then there's a good chance it's still using old BIOS settings, and if you've overclocked the previous CPU, then those settings will likely still be set, meaning all that is needed is to reset the BIOS.

Can you be more specific, when you say it doesn't boot up? Such as, does it get to post, or is it just the OS that isn't loading?

In my experience, when this happens it's either due to the wrong BIOS settings (simply reset via a jumper on the motherboard, or the battery method) dodgy CPU, or simply the PSU not giving off enough power. You said you rebuilt the PC, so I assume you changed the processor? If so, then there's a good chance it's still using old BIOS settings, and if you've overclocked the previous CPU, then those settings will likely still be set, meaning all that is needed is to reset the BIOS.
How woud I reset my BIOS via jumpers, I thought I did, I applied the jumper thing to the 2-pin thong on my motherboard, turned it on, waited a few seconds, turned it off, uncooked the jumper and then turned it back on, nothing

Last edited:
lol

I can only assume you got the wrong jumper, because you did it right. :| Do the battery method, which is the same thing, just take out the 3v battery, turn on the PC, put back in the battery, then save your default BIOS settings. Some motherboards have a feature allowing you to reset the BIOS by simply turning on your PC whilst holding the Insert key.

Just realised that I've missed the main point, and that is your PC wasn't booting up even before you upgraded the hardware, so this leads me to wonder what happened before the upgrade. :| There are so many variables to this; we could be here forever analysing every change.

BTW, fans going full-whack for a second or two, on start-up, is perfectly normal.

What PSU do you have?

Also, sorry for missing this, but connect up your speaker; those beeps can be essential to diagnosing simple problems. On the off-chance you don't know how, refer to your motherboard manual. If, for some unusual reason, you don't have a speaker inside your rig, you should be able to purchase one on something like Amazon; can just be this little tiny thing stuck to a wire, like what I have. :)

...just checked and found nothing on Amazon, but maybe eBay will have one suitable for your motherboard; I suppose it's not detrimental to not have one, but I strongly recommend sorting it, for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom