Check external hard drive

GiantDeskLamo

Beta member
Hi, I was wondering if there was any way for me to check which computers in the past my external hard drive has been connected to. I want to check if anyone has been using/going through my hard drive. What happened is my external hard drive fell and broke - I threw it away because I already had the data I needed backed up on my computer. I was wondering if I could check -my- computer for any data/file that would tell where the hard drive connected in the past had also been connected to. ie. would their computers have left some sort of "stamp" or something on the hard drive that would have been left over on my computer after I last connected the hard drive to mine? I'm running Lion and the other people would probably have been on Snow Leopard

You could take it to one of those forensic data recovery/security companies and spend several thousand dollars to find out if someone connected your hard drive to their machine and looked at the contents. Or you just ask the people you suspect and then read their body language when they give you an answer (assuming they lie to you).

You could take it to one of those forensic data recovery/security companies and spend several thousand dollars to find out if someone connected your hard drive to their machine and looked at the contents. Or you just ask the people you suspect and then read their body language when they give you an answer (assuming they lie to you).

Don't have the hard drive any more though. So there would be nothing on my own computer to tell? Like the very last time it connected to my computer, it wouldn't have "spilled" any data onto mine telling where it had been before?

Don't have the hard drive any more though. So there would be nothing on my own computer to tell? Like the very last time it connected to my computer, it wouldn't have "spilled" any data onto mine telling where it had been before?

Yeah, I don't think it works that way. So, asking the people you suspect isn't an option?

Yeah, I don't think it works that way. So, asking the people you suspect isn't an option?

Well it would be really awkward last resort...just tell me if there's really nothing I can do on the computer, then I'll think about social means :/

Last edited:
I wouldn't have a clue how to do what you're talking about if it is, in fact, possible. A computer security expert may know, though. All I'm sure of at this point is that if it is possible it's going to be ridiculously expensive.

Back
Top Bottom