$650 car a good deal?

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
Alrighty, so I'm still on the hunt for a nice cheap car, 2 words that don't combine well. But this looks like a mechanically sound beater that would be a nice car when fixed up.

Its a 1989 Chevrolet Blazer 4.3L 2 door. It runs and drives, a first in my price range, lol.

All the good things:
+ paint job not only exists, but it looks decent. :lol:
+ it runs with no problems
+ ac works fine minus a weird issue
+ electronic everything AND it all still works
+ new tires
+ almost everything works
+ comes with some tools XD
+ aftermarket oil thingy keeps it from doing some weird crap associated with the original (my dad said it was good)
+ all of the other doors work, nothing finiky

Now onto the bad side:
- few rust spots not only on the quarterpanels but also on the roof(wtf???)
- 4x4 needs a cable
- driver side door handle needs replacing
- needs new exhaust(basically open headers, don't get me wrong, sounds badass ^_^)
- needs new driver side seat
- any and everything associated with plastic except the dash is completely f*cked (glovebox has 1 hinge, cig lighter is rusted, etc.)
- 260,000 miles
- ac blows air out some vents, but not others (still hot/cold)
- driver side window off trac
- needs new headliner
- won't cook me breakfast
- needs a good vaccuming :trash:

Alrighty, so I basicly gave you guys an in-depth tour of the entire car, that is everything that is wrong with it.

Since I'm turning 15 in July, I have approximately a year to screw around with this bugger and fix it up. Will I be going over my head with this one? Or will a few hundred bucks and some days sleeping in the garage get it decent? :thumb:

Also, as always, does this car have any specific problems or plagues with stuff?

If you don't need the car for another year why not spend that year saving more money to get something better/safer? You will be spending plenty during that year fixing a bomb up anyway.

Well the problem is my parents have me in debt for the 2 $250 fees for my stupid mac breaking, but they are willing to lay out $1200 for a car. If its more that $1200, I have to save up for it myself, and considering the massive list of things that I need fixed beyond the stupid mac, I figured it'd be easier learning how to fix a car myself(with my dad of course).

Well the problem is my parents have me in debt for the 2 $250 fees for my stupid mac breaking, but they are willing to lay out $1200 for a car. If its more that $1200, I have to save up for it myself, and considering the massive list of things that I need fixed beyond the stupid mac, I figured it'd be easier learning how to fix a car myself(with my dad of course).
Good luck, you will need it...... Persistence will pay!!!

Noting the horrible mpg these things get, if I get it, what exhaust should I put on it(it has none atm). I seen in a store the flowmaster add thing saying its more efficient?

The 4.3L is a decent engine (350 minus two cylinders). My friend had his replaced in his Blazer at one point. The rest of his car has about that many miles, and other than squeaks and rattles, it runs good.

Rust; check the frame, rocker panels, leaf spring and suspension mounts, control arms... Check the underside basically.

These trucks will run for a long time, but that is a lot of miles.

Again, in your price range, I would be looking at a Crown Vic.

Rust; check the frame, rocker panels, leaf spring and suspension mounts, control arms... Check the underside basically.

Again, in your price range, I would be looking at a Crown Vic.

Is it going to be easy to fix the rust on the roof and rear panels? The rust is pretty bad, but again there are only like 3 spots on the entire car.

Crown Vix, lol? I have $1,200, not $12,000, lol XD

The cool thing about Chevy/GMC trucks and SUVs is that you will always be able to get parts for them easily and relatively cheaply. These are very common vehicles, so you will also be able to find parts at the junkyard (that should save you some money). If you end up getting it, the first thing you buy for it should be the Chilton's manual (not the Haynes, they suck ass). The only thing I might be concerned about is smog related stuff (unless you live in a state that doesn't require smog tests in order to register with DMV).

Pre 96, you don't need Cats, and I think pre 96 is exempt from smog tests, but I'm not sure.

Crown vics are dirt cheap, ex police cruisers. Many easily run 300k + miles needing hardly anything.

Detective Unmarked Police Car For Sale

There's one for $1200 (no idea where you are located).

Hell, you can get a high miles 2007 Crown Vic for $1200.
Ford Crown Victoria

Yes, we looked at the motor, it had some weird thingy that was "missing", my dad said it didn't matter because we don't need to pass emmisions.

Anyways, we took it for a test drive, it drive quite well, no clunking or whining or weird sounds, it has some problems related with a little vacuum leak and alignment problem. We're still waiting for him to budge on his price, he offered $600, I'm looking for $550 :)

Chicago must be loaded with used cars, here in Tennessee/Clarskville you look and you might get a really worn out geo metro, or a beat up Chevy Blazer :p

Edit: We looked at the air filter for whatever reason, it was supper clogged up lol.

Back
Top Bottom