Graphics Card (GPU)

Shane198three

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, I am looking to upgrade my GPU. I currently have a Radeon 3850, which I know is really OLD :ermm: !!! So, I am looking at GPUs and am having a difficult time trying to figure out what would be best for me. So, I am looking to the community for some help.

I have been looking at 2 different websites to help me.

Video Card Database - Specifications, Pictures and Comparisons - GPUReview.com

&

PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmark Charts

I have been trying to find a GPU that would be perfect for me for the next 2 - 3 years, and if not transplant it into another computer for the kids when it isn't powerful enough for me.

My main issue is I am on a budget, now the budget is not for much, we are looking at about $100... Yes, I know you cannot get a great GPU for $100, and that is why I am willing to go up to $150 if it is the right one.

So at first I was looking at Radeon, but after talking to a friend of mine late last night I think he convinced me that I should be going with nVIDIA.

I was looking at 2 Radeon cards:

Sapphire Radeon HD 5770

&

Sapphire Radeon HD 6850

Both of these are in my price range. But, upon talking to my buddy last night, he told me that Sapphire is a bottom end manufacturer, and I should got with EVGA. I had already looked at nVIDIA cards before, but I have never bought one, so wasn't really sure. With my research I have found that the...

EVGA - GTX 550 Ti

Should work nicely for me... Now, mind you, I play games, do some web browsing, and watch Netflix. I had posted up on Facebook and someone made a comment stating I shouldn't go with a last gen Radeon I should get a 7770. I do not need something that is current, though it would be nice. I need something that will work nicely for me for a few years, and then I can upgrade again!

The games I play:

StarCraft 2
Skyrim
MineCraft

I do have a Steam account with quite a few games.

I also plan on playing Diablo3 when it releases May 15...

Thank You all for your help, and patients with reading this message. I tried to be as thorough as possible so there are not any questions. Please let me know what you think, if you have any questions, etc. T

Thanks,

Shane

The 550Ti is an amazing card; I can't stress enough how amazing it is for value to performance. I have this card, have it overclocked, and it floors almost anything I throw at it on max settings at 1600x900 resolution. I plan on getting another one and having an SLI setup, which would be absolutely amazing (I've read it's the equivalent, roughly, of the 570) and it wouldn't break the bank! If you're on a budget, then go for the 550Ti.

Sapphire cards are basically VERY cheap cards, compared to the original versions; they aren't crap, but they aren't super duper mega awesome, either. I've seen plenty and they're pretty good; it depends on the model you get.

My brother bought an HD5750 and it is amazing, rivaling even my 550Ti card, and it was very cheap, so that's worth considering.

I'm quite obsessive with gaming performance, but I can tell you that the 550Ti can, with updates and tweaking, play Skyrim fairly well, but I, personally, am totally appalled at how that game was "optimised".

Make sure to steer clear of passively cooled cards, because these are usually always crap compared to what I consider "the real thing". Passively cooled cards are mostly intended for dead quiet computers that are used for movies, music, TV, etc.

Hope I helped, and sorry I didn't join this site sooner! I hate it when you're in need of help and it goes unnoticed. :|

Der-PC-Mann,

Thank you for your response. I don't care about noise, considering I have 6 fans blowing all of the time. I seriously think I will be going with the 550Ti it is on sale for 119 on Newegg right now.

Back
Top Bottom