Please help me, hardware issue I think

mwintour

Beta member
So I got my computer about 18months ago brand new, windows 7 64 bit with 4gb of ram. processor pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz 2.69 GHz.
For the first 8 monthsish I wasn't having any problems and loving my new computer. And then one day I was listening to music and browsing the web when my screen went black, the audio stopped and my monitor said 'monitor going to sleep' but the power to everything was still on, and the blue ring around the power button on my computer was still going. So i just restarted it and everything was fine, since then it started happening more and more frequently and about 30% of the time it would do it before my computer had even finished starting up, very frustrating! About a month ago I changed back to my old graphics card that came with it(as I had installed a new graphics card) but I had the same problems for several weeks so I changed back. There seems to be no pattern to it and very random, some days it is unuseable(crashes while starting up 10+ times, and others it will go for days without any problems. I brought a household fan and took the side of the case off and this has not fixed it, I have also replaced the cord that goes from back of computer to power socket even though power does not leave the computer even for a few seconds. Also, sometimes about 5% of the time when it crashes, when I hold down the power button to turn it off so I can restart it, once it's off it just won't go back on, I press it and the button lights up for a split second then just won't light up again until I unplug it from the wall and plug it into different plugs. I have tried it in different rooms and still no luck. Any ideas?

Try this calculator, and see if you have enough power. Keep in mind that you have to leave a bit of leg room. I suspect this is a power issue.

Have you got a spare power that you can replace and see if the problem goes away? I still think it's a power issue...

Sounds like a power supply thats dieing (or pretty well dead). See if you can find one laying around or borrow one from a friend to test it with.

It's the power supply. At this point the wattage doesn't really matter because the power supply itself is malfunctioning. You should replace the power supply with a more reputable brand like Antech or Thermaltake or something. As for the wattage, you'll safer going with at least the same wattage or maybe even a little bit higher.

Back
Top Bottom