i had this machine running linux before i changed the cooler
now when i hit the power button it starts to post
then i hear a tick/click sound
just one
then it shuts off
any thought?
thanks for any help

Last edited:
I'd remove the new cooler, check for any possible motherboard shorts (like a screw or standoff that may have rolled underneath the motherboard) and then carefully reinstall the cooler (apply new thermal paste if necessary).

okay so your saying that there is a short somewhere
okay, ill double check it
i really dont want to have to take the cooler off again
but i think ive figure out the short already
thanks

okay i need more help
i got the cooler installed
and i figured it wasnt seated correctly
so i added some washers to make it more secure on the cpu
it fired up and posted
it loaded up linux
and once my temp program opened i saw that the temps went from 69C
which is higher then what it was on a 92mm air cooler
and started to sky rocket
it hit 91C before it shut down
HELP!!!
please
whats wrong now?

just as some background
its a Core 2 Quad cpu @ 3GHz (which was stable on air)
then i installed a Corsair H60 in a push/pull set up
using fans that move 82.6 CFM for the push/pull
running ubuntu linux
it should be in the upper 40's C at max
not after startup when the box has been sitting for 3 days with no power
thanks guys

Water cooling sits at 50-70*C and doesn't help until it hits 65+*C where it will cool it and keep it at a stable temperature of 50-70*C.

This is because the water needs to reach 50-70*C before the heat can loose heat to the radiator.

For example, if you where to pour a cup of room temp water and but a fan facing it, it will simply stay the same temperature. however pour a cup of boiling water and the water will quickly cool to --Room Temperature.

However, this means there is a definite fault with your system / water cooling if hitting 90*C.

Ensure you have plugged the pump into the CPU_FAN port and not CHASSIS_FAN port, this could also be the problem with boot, when computer doesn't recognize a CPU Fan it will shutdown.

Earlier post is still good suggestion, a PC shortage may be the reason, Check all connections to the Motherboard, Loose connections are a problem.

If the pump does not plug into the CPU_FAN port, simply plug ANY fan into this port, this may solve problems.

If it does plug into the CPU_FAN port, and still problems try plugging the pump into the psu and plug a random fan into the CPU_FAN port, see if this works (it does mean that the water cooling will run at max)

Is the push/pull config plugged into the H60? if it IS plug into PSU (it may be draining the power from the pump.
-------- If it IS NOT plug it in, this is all trial and error and no damage can be done * don't quote* but its all running of 12v

These are all my ideas, and if still not working Send Back, but ensure you have read the company your purchased from refund conditions.

Shorts don't cause overheating issues so I doubt that's the issue. You need to make sure your pump is running, the cooler is installed correctly and you applied a thin (not too thick) layer of fresh thermal grease. I'm not sure where it is that you installed the washers, just make sure that the washers don't prevent the cooler from making secure contact with the top of the CPU.

its picture time
IMG_0382.jpg

so that is a total system shot
IMG_0377.jpg

here is the cooler mounted
IMG_0381.jpg

and here is the pump plugged into the cpu fan header

the H60 instructions says nothing about adding thermal paste to the cooler
and on the bottom was some already
so when i took it off to check everything
i noticed that the mouning bracket was still loose on the mobo
so i added some washers to the back bracket and that made it alot better
it doesnt move
i looked at the paste on the cooler and it wasnt disturbed
so i think the spacer helped put the cooler on the cpu
thanks for any and all of the suggestions peeps

The washers you added are probabley creating a short under where they are. Thick rubber washers would be better than metal.

i have the metal washers under the rubber spacers that was provided by corsair
and that was after i reseated the cooler

Back
Top Bottom