Outline of requirement/needs/desires + budget

canusa53

Baseband Member
Here is what I will be shooting for on a first build plus the money factor....

1- Quiet and fast
2- Photo/video edits
3- Media (movies, occasional TV, music)
4- Gaming (mid-level but want to room to escalate if desired)
5- Fair level of futureproofing
6- Budget of $1,500 to $2,000 including OS (may exceed top end of budget a bit after odds and ends are tallied)
7- Do want a SSD for OS and will be dual booting with Linux Mint or Ubuntu (SSD will also be used for some programs)
8- Plenty of storage
9- Blu ray plus another op drive to burn one cd/dvd to another

Have a good Samsung TV 32 inch used as monitor, want to upgrade wireless kb/mouse (but not military style gaming coz the wife would have none of that), also want a quiet a mouse as possible, set up for a good/basic remote, already have a good Logitech 5.1 sound system. Understand some mobos now have onboard sound adjustments through monitor?? True or false?

Enough for now. Suggest components, ideas, questions for clarification, please.

Tanx

Last edited:
With that budget you can make a nice rig.

Someone once told me to not use a television as a monitor as the refresh rate isn't fast enough. I would go for a nice 24" computer monitor. As a gamer that is..

Yes, a tv is not ideal however space is an issue and the wife and I watch old episodes of Law and Order from bed every night. A 24 in monitor doesn't quite cut it at that distance. I know, I have contemplated..........

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

...............that is .......having a 24" along with the tv .............is a prob....

quite and fast?
not trying to be mean
but would you tell the SR-71 blackbird to be quite at top speed?
you can control some of the noise by choosing the right fans
but the fan in your PSU and GPU are not controllable so you will still hear them
the good thing is that sound is not accumulative
so you can have alot without being annoying
do you want a SLI/Crossfire set up?
do you want bleeding edge? or not
what form factor are you looking for?
do you even care about size?

Back
Top Bottom