HP running horribly

GibsonSGKing

Daemon Poster
I have an HP DM4-2191us laptop. Core i5, Intel HD 3000 video chipset, 4gb DDR3 ram. Not much else to be said. It runs like shit. It can, and will play games fine, but after a few minutes, it just bogs down. No clue why. Some days it's fine, some days it's terrible. I just ran Intel Burn Test, because it was happening again, and after 5 minutes it still hadn't finished a single pass. On my desktop, Q9400 processor (which this i5 should be very close to in performance) can finish a pass in under a minute. What in the world is happening to this, and how can I resolve it? I am so pissed off right now it's not even funny. This thing is acting like it has a Celeron, and I certainly didn't pay a Celeron price tag.

Any help is /greatly/ appreciated

And now I restarted it, and I can play CS:S and Killing Floor (thegames that give me issues, the only ones I play on here) without an issue. What in the hell is happening... and I checked the temps and they're all good

I'd run memtest86+ just for giggles, then I'd look at what processes are running when it is working and compare the list to when it isn't working.

Of course, there are hidden processes that just won't show up on the list; this may help root out any hidden problem processes.

Jeeze You really think that's going to play games?
Mines a G7 and it fails PassMark miserably. LOL
i3 2.30
6gigs DDR3
640gigs HD
Intel HD3000 graphics chip with 1.2 gigs of video ram
17.3" LED backlit LCD wide screen

The laptop systems that have internal graphics chip are not going to be much when it comes to playing graphics intensive games. If you wanted a gaming machine you should have gone with one of the models that sports either AMD or Nvidia graphics systems chips.
Oh BTW did you dump all of the added on BS software and HP hoo hahs that came on it? They have a tendencey to run in the background. Don't dump what you need to keep the system going. Just dump the crap.
Set a restore point then go in the services and disable what you're not using.
Be careful. You could lock yourself out.

Last edited:
Jeeze You really think that's going to play games?
Mines a G7 and it fails PassMark miserably. LOL
i3 2.30
6gigs DDR3
640gigs HD
Intel HD3000 graphics chip with 1.2 gigs of video ram
17.3" LED backlit LCD wide screen

The laptop systems that have internal graphics chip are not going to be much when it comes to playing graphics intensive games. If you wanted a gaming machine you should have gone with one of the models that sports either AMD or Nvidia graphics systems chips.
Oh BTW did you dump all of the added on BS software and HP hoo hahs that came on it? They have a tendencey to run in the background. Don't dump what you need to keep the system going. Just dump the crap.
Set a restore point then go in the services and disable what you're not using.
Be careful. You could lock yourself out.

Don't get condescending, and your HD3000 has no VRAM, it's just using system RAM. I bought the laptop for school use, but I play some games in between classes. The Source and Unreal engines can both be run on toasters in this day and age, and like I said, it runs the games fine half of the time. Yes, the first thing I did when I unboxed it was to remove anything that was unessential to Windows.

Dngrsone: Yeah, I'm going to run memtest over night, but I really doubt it will bring anything up. I haven't had any issues with BSOD's or anything, so I seriously doubt it's the RAM. I wish the BIOS wasn't so damn locked down in this thing though, I have a feeling some of the problem is that the processor multiplier drops to save power.

Dngrsone: Yeah, I'm going to run memtest over night, but I really doubt it will bring anything up. I haven't had any issues with BSOD's or anything, so I seriously doubt it's the RAM. I wish the BIOS wasn't so damn locked down in this thing though, I have a feeling some of the problem is that the processor multiplier drops to save power.

Yeah, I really don't like HPs locked-down BIOSes... but nowadays, I haven't the time to really muck around in my computers and play; it's entertaining enough trying to repair my OS after I try 'fixing' some little irritation I ran into while using linux on my laptop (I'm currently using a G72).

Back
Top Bottom