Is computer repair a viable profession right now?

Even the members here can build systems and do advanced trouble shooting.

eh.gif
... what are you trying to say?

Wasn't sure of the best place to post this, so here goes... I'm 34, and looking to change professions. Long story as to why, but the health and fitness industry I have worked with over the past 15 years is completely dead due to the economy. It is only a small part of why I'm changing professions, but nonetheless, has been a contributing factor.

So anyway, I'm headed back to school, and trying to figure out something I can do part-time which will be flexible hours that I can revolve around a primary focus on college.

Since I have worked with computers since the Commodore 64 existed, I thought I might create a computer repair website and try to do that locally. However, I'm not really sure how competitive the industry is and whether or not it would be worth my time.

Since I moved recently, I had to start from scratch again in my industry. I spent countless hours putting together a website for freelance personal training, and after about 6 weeks, I've managed to get it to the first page of local searches. However, it has still not pulled me in anything because of how bad the economy impacted us (and how competitive the industry is now because of it). I just don't want to waste any more time on it.

But anyway, I was wondering for those who opened a personal business in their areas, how competitive is it? How hard was it to get yourself to the top of the local searches? Is it something where you can develop a good website and draw people in, or is it like personal training, where you have to constantly aggressively market and sell to pull in any business? Any info you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated, because I really don't want to develop another web page and spend weeks upon weeks all for no return again.

There really isn't much money in this kind of endeavor since most of your would be customers could just use google or websites like this one to resolve most of their computer issues. You would probably be better off getting in as much education as possible and trying for an entry level IT position in a medium to large sized company. You could still do local IT work on the side for extra money (I do), but you don't want to have to depend on that to survive. Then there's medical insurance, paid time off, stuff like that...

eh.gif
... what are you trying to say?

What I'm saying is we don't have to consider taking our systems to a repair shop. We can do most of our own repairs and what we need help on we come to forums like this one and consult with others. And it's free.

There really isn't much money in this kind of endeavor since most of your would be customers could just use google or websites like this one to resolve most of their computer issues. You would probably be better off getting in as much education as possible and trying for an entry level IT position in a medium to large sized company. You could still do local IT work on the side for extra money (I do), but you don't want to have to depend on that to survive. Then there's medical insurance, paid time off, stuff like that...
A little bit negative on the comment, I think if you get a dedicated person willing to repair computers at a reasonable price they can make a go of it as most computer shops these days are not really capable or interested in doing this type of work.

Setishock is part right that people come to forums for this at times but there are a quite lot of people who would not attempt to repair computers for fear of not understanding PC components who would seek professional help hence "Computer Repair businesses".

I think the one that would be most viable for me at this point would be to put together an offer to send out to local businesses to help them with going paperless in any way I can. Probably won't give me a whole lot of work, but at least most of that work would have relatively flexible hours.

What qualifications/certificates do you have? Professional businesses will ask you that before giving you any sort of work and if your answer is none but I have been mucking around with computers for years...then forget about it.

Based on Lowndsey's train of thought, you might want to check in to the local voc tech school and see if they offer a computer course. There's all kinds of government financial aid programs that you could tap to help pay for it. Couldn't hurt to scope it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom