Forgot password on my old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't use a reset disk from another computer. They are specific to the computer they are made on.

A Windows password reset disk is always used to reset Windows password if you have created in advance. Here are the steps to use the disk for your password recovery.
Step 1: If you enter the wrong password when you attempt to log on, Windows will display a message that the password is incorrect. Click "OK" to close the message box.
Step 2: Click "Reset Windows Password", and then insert Windows password reset disk (or other removable media).
Step 3: Follow the steps in the "Password Reset Wizard" to create a new password.
Step 4: Log on with the new password.

Uh guys just for clarification windows 7 and Vista have the built in safe mode admin disabled by default and if you do activate it, it will show in normal mode next to all of the other users. Pretty much the only way to get through a password that you don't know is reset it or find out what it is. I am not going to say specific methods however I do know that command prompt can reset passwords so try running your PC in safe mode with command prompt.

I am surprised that this thread is still up. Don't we have something against password resetting threads?

For the members here:
It's just not smart to assume it's ok to help bypass a password protected system. Besides your answers will be read by thousands of guests here and that could be bad news...

Setishock, Thank you for the information I believe I had read in another forum or place that there are certain topics that aren't supposed to be discussed. I'm new so this is information that I will remember.

to reset the password.

This is really going to depend on a whole load of things. you might be able to boot from a memory stick or USB, something like Hirens boot CD, not sure if this will work on windows 7 or vista.

to recover files.

buy an empty USB external hard drive.
take the disk from the computer
put it into the hard drive
connect it to a different computer.

you could try running OPHCRACK on a usb disk this will show you ur passwords or burning something like offline NT password &registry to a disk this programme allows you to change your windows password

There is always an option of using a live linux distro cd to recover data. Mount sytem pull the data off of it. Some newer distro's let you mount filesystem without pass example Ubuntu! Home | Ubuntu

Not 100% never tried this never had to but Pull the harddrive and if you happen to have a go flex external harddrive unplug it (the cord plugs into another plug) and that main plug port hooks straight into a laptop hard drive and just pull off your stuff like it's a storage devise
Best of luck getting your stuff

OP is from 4 months ago. There is great debate about helping reset a password on this forum. For now thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom