Question about upgrading

pfcperry18

Beta member
Hey guys. I got a couple questions about upgrading some of my hardware. I got a Compaq CQ5700F from a buddy not too long ago. Nice computer. Pretty fast with Windows 7. Plays some games pretty well.

I want to be able to play more, though. I already put in a total of 4GB of RAM and another 500GB HDD. I want to swap the motherboard for something with PCI Express x16 slots. It's a MicroATX board. Would ANY board that type work? The processor is an AM3 slot type. I might keep the current one, not sure. I want to be able to put in a good graphics card with at least an HDMI output. I have a DVI to HDMI adapter right now, but I don't like it.:lol:

You could put in any MicroATX AM3 or AM3+ board provided that the power supply and other factors (such as the space inside the case) are the same.

It looks like that case is either a BTX case, or inverted ATX (there is a difference...) but the formfactors all look normal - you could probably do it.

What CPU are you using in there now, and which GPU?

If you aren't sure, you can download Speccy - System Information - Free Download and install that for all of the system's details.

The current CPU is an AMD Athlon II 170U....GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 3000 chip.

I want to be able to put in a REAL gfx card. And a good CPU

EDIT: If I need to upgrade my PSU, what type would I want to get?

That case is an inverted micro ATX case. While you shouldn't have a problem physically installing the board, you might run into an issue when connecting the case's front panel connectors. Generally things like USB, 1394 and audio are pretty universal but the power and reset buttons as well as the LEDs might present an issue.

A lot of reviews say that the PSU is the bare minimum for the hardware, which makes sense. Mass market PCs generally skimp on the PSU.

As far as PSUs go, I've had good experiences with Antec, Diablotek, Thermaltake, and Corsair. I have a Sunbeam unit in my main rig which has been running almost nonstop for a year. If you're upgrading the board and PSU, I would definitely get a case to make life easier. Also an upgraded case will offer more expandability and better cooling, especially if you plan on adding a GFX card.

Well, I really don't WANT to get a new case. I like the way it looks now. Has plenty of vents on the side for cooling. Might stick a good size fan on one of them to pull air into it.

What do you mean with the power button and LED connectors? Not quite following you here.....:rolleyes:

The PSU inside it right now is a 250W. Would that be enough to power a good card? I'm not going all out, balls to the wall, graphics card right now. Just something to play games like GTA IV, NFS Shift, rFactor....etc. Not going to crank the GFX up all the way, but just high enough it looks good

Back
Top Bottom