Question about anti-virus software

Dngrsone, I disagree that the thread should be closed - most of these replies are civil still, I don't see any reason to bring that to a halt... However...

anti-virus is used when the user doesn't have sufficient knowledge of computer programs and features. Speaking as an IT Manager now just been promoted yay for me, we do not use anti-virus software at all. If you get access to a sufficient firewall so you can permit or deny access to resources and files that's all a computer needs.

I pray for you then. Not having antivirus on your user's PCs does nothing to protect you should your firewall or Email filter fail to catch something. What about someone letting a rogue program in on the network via a flash drive or CD? What about an outsider who manages to get in anyway via a wifi access point?

Not running antivirus is the stupidest thing any company can do - my company uses Forefront since it offers both malware protection and virus protection, and we use it with a robust hardware firewall in addition to a software solution (Untangle).

We haven't had many problems, but save for the occasional malware snafu - in every case, Forefront has ground the infection to a halt. One of the large reasons why I trust my home PC to MSE.

I also disagree with folks on the Security Suite vs Antivirus situation. Save for NOD or, with caveats, Norton Security, there's little reason to install those heavy handed suites for most users. Yes, the ones that continually poke their noses into places it shouldn't be online need something more secure, but for the vast majority of users, antivirus and the windows firewall does the job.

I build or fix, on average, 10 users a month outside of my day job - this is my point of view. I help folks from the totally novice to the "wannabe technician" - the view hardly shifts. Only the folks who don't want to deal with people usually recommend the ISSes out there. ;)

"No I won't fix your PC" is the perfect shirt for them. As for me, I rather enjoy the extra income. :D

The horse is dead.

Mayhaps it's time for a moderator to lock this thread...
Someone forgot their yoga class this morning.
Dngrsone, I disagree that the thread should be closed - most of these replies are civil still, I don't see any reason to bring that to a halt... However...

I pray for you then. Not having antivirus on your user's PCs does nothing to protect you should your firewall or Email filter fail to catch something. What about someone letting a rogue program in on the network via a flash drive or CD? What about an outsider who manages to get in anyway via a wifi access point?

Not running antivirus is the stupidest thing any company can do - my company uses Forefront since it offers both malware protection and virus protection, and we use it with a robust hardware firewall in addition to a software solution (Untangle).

We haven't had many problems, but save for the occasional malware snafu - in every case, Forefront has ground the infection to a halt. One of the large reasons why I trust my home PC to MSE.

I also disagree with folks on the Security Suite vs Antivirus situation. Save for NOD or, with caveats, Norton Security, there's little reason to install those heavy handed suites for most users. Yes, the ones that continually poke their noses into places it shouldn't be online need something more secure, but for the vast majority of users, antivirus and the windows firewall does the job.

I build or fix, on average, 10 users a month outside of my day job - this is my point of view. I help folks from the totally novice to the "wannabe technician" - the view hardly shifts. Only the folks who don't want to deal with people usually recommend the ISSes out there.
clip_image001.gif

"No I won't fix your PC" is the perfect shirt for them. As for me, I rather enjoy the extra income.
clip_image001.gif

this is not about flexing muscles here, im stating it out rite. Virus protection is a method of security, not the only security. My systems are hack proof because everything you just said from cd-roms to usb drive's as a point of risk has been taken into consideration as well as many other's. the computer network's protects against unknown computers like wifi hackers if I used it, wifi that is. what has aided my success is the study of information theory. Im not some two bit know it all that is telling people to not use anti virus because it doesn't work. Im stating that it should not be branded the way it is being branded in this thread. I do not use virus protection because I'm not just protecting data, but high powered machinery that is controlled via my computer systems. If my methods were to fail, a lot of peoples safety would be at risk. A forum is to share information about ones experience's to help people. not promote software or flex ones muscles and show people how great they are. My threads are from experience and if this conflicts with your knowledge I'm very sorry, for you, not sorry that your wrong.

Last edited:
threadmark there is no such thing as "hack proof". While you're obviously very pleased with your configuration, it just won't work for the "average" user who for the most part is blissfully clueless.

threadmark there is no such thing as "hack proof". While you're obviously very pleased with your configuration, it just won't work for the "average" user who for the most part is blissfully clueless.
I agree. hack proof without brute force password hacks. The computers wont even register if booted up with a different os like linux. Without the ip no access to files or control systems. If I was to leave my job all the passwords need to be changed and I could not break my own creation without the passwords. I would call that hack proof.
TM

you're living in a dream world.

nothing is hack proof.

the trouble is that there are situations that you just haven't considered yet.

Back
Top Bottom