how to keep kids out of computer control panel

allister

Solid State Member
is there any software that i can use to keep my kid fro downloading games and going into the control panel and changing my settings on my computer? i use windows vista. i know about K9 software but thought there might be a better one. i should make a controled side but then he can still go in the control panel. omg kid driving me nuts!! any help please! thx!!

There's a couple of routes you can go.
Create a guest account and restrict what they can do.
First make sure your primary/admin account has a strong password on it. One just you and the missus know. Then create a second account and enable the parental controls.
Or as a last resort just snatch a knot in his head and tell him to knock it off.

Or as a last resort just snatch a knot in his head and tell him to knock it off.

:offtopic: I'm sorry and this isn't directed at the OP but why aren't parents able to parent anymore? What happened to the time when parents said "don't do this" and kids didn't do it. Why do parents insist on having someone or something else do their job...what a lazy world we have created for ourselves when we can't even be bothered to parent.

/rant

So back to the original question. I'd say go with setting up a seperate account and giving it limited access. Then securing the admin account with a stong password - and M0M&D@D doesn't count. You have to pick something that is not directly related to you. As a limited user he still maybe able to access the CP but shouldn't be able to change any settings.

all I can say is... I don't agree with parental controls in any form. Just gives off an air of mistrust.

I must say I agree with jmacavali. The best parental control is to play with trust; if they do stuff they ain't ment'ta don't let them use the computer; and if they use it properly, they can continue use. Basic rules of respect really.

all I can say is... I don't agree with parental controls in any form. Just gives off an air of mistrust.

I must say I agree with jmacavali. The best parental control is to play with trust; if they do stuff they ain't ment'ta don't let them use the computer; and if they use it properly, they can continue use. Basic rules of respect really.

I have to disagree-- not all kids are going to become computer-savvy users. Some just want to watch you-tube and do basic searches for homework purposes. Those same kids are going to randomly click on things, either out of boredom or something unexpected happening.

This is why I have parental controls in place, kids in non-administrator accounts, and content-filtering. No matter the trustworthiness, things are going to happen, and I would rather spend my time helping the kids get a game or two installed, than having to remove four and a half tons of malware because what they thought was a game or a mod really wasn't.

thanks for all of your ideas i will give a couple of them a try! I must say that my child is has autism and loves the computer!! Don't judge me when you have no idea what goes on in my life i asked a simple question that's all i don't judge you so please don't judge me!! i am a good parent and have raised two other beautiful children that know right from wrong and are very well behaved! It's hard to teach an autistic kid right from wrong when they don't understand right from wrong. Ever hear the saying (IF YOU HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO SAY THEN DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL) thanks to the people who answered my question!!

Ok armed with the knowledge you supplied it might be best to consider a program like Net Nanny. I haven't read anything about this program in a while but when it came out it got good reviews. Combined with the parental control on the computer itself you should have most of the bases covered.
Thanks for coming by CF and asking about this. Don't be a stranger...

i'm sorry that i misunderstood you. i pride myself in being a good parent! autism is very hard to deal with in general

Back
Top Bottom