New here and PSU questions

seanjohn25

Solid State Member
I just built a computer and got it running the other day, worked great although i don't have my 2 HDs one is a OCZ 60gb SSD for OS and a WD 500gb 7200rpm. I used an old seagate 500gb 5400rpm to get everything running and check it out, the computer reset itself a few times and I was thinking it might be the power supply.

Here is my specs, please let me know if i need a larger PSU or if I can be ok:

MOBO: Boxed Intel extreme series BOXDP67BGB3
CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.3ghz Sandy Bridge
Graphics: EVGA GTX 550 Ti 2048mb
Case: NZXT Guardian Black (has 3 case fans, 2 with LED's 120mm)
Ram: 2x4gb Kingston Hyper x blu 1600mhz ddr3
HD's: 1 OCZ 60gb Sata 3 SSD 1 WD 500gb 7200rpm Sata 3
Optical Drives: Asus 24x DVD+RW
PSU: Cooler Master Extreme series 500w ATX12V
Monitor: Gateway 23" 1080p Led via DVI

Let me know if I didn't enter in the specs correctly, and please help me decide if i need a larger power supply. I got mine for $40 off amazon thinking 500w was plenty but now its sort of cutting it close.

Most likely is the psu if you paid only 40 dollars for it. You get what you paid for. I can not stress this enough, the psu is the most important component in a build. It is always better to get more wattage than you need and to get a name brand like corsair, antec, rosewill, etc. because of the reliability of the product. This may seem stupid but the heavier the psu, the more likely it is to be more reliable.

Alright thank you for the response. Would you think a 650w would be high enough? Ill check out some on newegg and get a better name brand. I thought the cooler master was a good one and reviews seemed pretty good on it, but I'd hate to burn out any components due to it.

Nah I'm pretty happy with my 550 TI and I don't game a whole lot, mostly using this for programming, and occasional video game sprees. Thanks a lot for your help, i went ahead and ordered the Corsair 650w and am returning the cooler master (the connectors on it were rather cheap and limited anyways).

Mine did this to, check everything is plugged in / locked in.
I took my computer apart - and rebuilt it and it worked fine, so it was probably just loose connections, dont know if it will work for you or not.

Also, if you OS is on your 500gb atm, check to see if you can run;

Intel® Smart Response Technology
SSD Speed with HDD Capacity
Intel® Smart Response Technology boosts overall system performance. It uses an installed fast SSD (min 18.6GB available capacity) as a cache for frequently accessed data. Harness the combination of SSD-like performance and response with hard drive capacity, that's 4X faster than a HDD-only system.

Yeah I also think it was something to do with the door not properly being on all the way. The computer began to run fine and works ok, but voltage seems slightly low on a few components so a new power supply can't hurt, and I'd rather not blow $1k worth of parts haha.

And thanks Jake for the programs I need, that should help everything to run smoothly. Once I get home from spring break Ill be installing windows fresh, to my new SSD and getting all the programs rightfully installed, just got to make sure the firmware of the SSD is up to date.

A computer reset can be any thing, Bios settings, bad drivers, software glitches & hardware compatibility issues....

Try another known good PSU if you have one just in case it is not a PSU problem.

Back
Top Bottom