Win 7 Home Group: Wired and Wireless

RonNYC

Baseband Member
I have Windows 7, two computers, both connected to the same Linksys router with a small switch also due to several devices (a RAID drive).

Both are on the same network (same name) but one is wired and one wireless and many times, the wireless notebook can't see the printers on the wired computer. Like right now. There are no other computers in the Home group. (I hate the Home group, it either works or not and there's no getting info on why it doesn't work.)

Any idea how I can print from my wiressless notebook using the printers on the wired computer? How can I put them in the same home group?

RON

That's interesting. When I did homegroup, the computer I created the Homegroup gave me a password for other computers to join. So my desktop was the main homegroup computer and my wireless joined it. I had a hard time because my laptop didnt recognize the printer connected to the desktop. I found out that it was because I hadnt loaded my drivers on the laptop for the printer.

Oh yeah, I went through all that. And sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes I could print from the laptop, sometimes not. It thinks the printers are off line. SO, I got tire of all this crap and just wired the laptop. And, on a network, everything is connected. I think Home group needs some work. It's really not ready for prime time.

Both are Win 7. The Home Group is definitely not ready for prime time. However, wired, both are just fine. I just clicked on the Homegroup and again, it says, there are no other homegroup computers. Yet I've logged both in with the same password. It is now definitely not a matter of wired vs wireless.

Well, not fine. All very confusing. I turned off the wireless connection on both computers, so now the only connection is the lan connection. And the only MAC address is the one from the lan connection. Both are connected to the same router. On my desktop I can see both computers from the network map. Same on the laptop. HOWEVER, even though folders are shared (and are at times accessible) they are not now and the printers, which are connected directly to the desktop are not available to the notebook. All are "off line". What am I doing wrong? Where should I look? Of course, while both computers appear on the network maps (from both computers) they do not appear under the "network" icon in File Explorer.

and of course the homegroup is nonexistent. Even though the password is the same for both.

And under the Network icon on the notebook, there is nothing. Same for the homegroup (of course).

It might be worth it to start over with the Homegroup. I just setup a laptop/desktop combo with Homegroup and it's working perfect with no problems.

Are any of the computers sleeping?
Are the files/permissions setup correctly?
Did you right-click the folders>share>homegroup Read/Write?
Are you able to access the internet when the network isn't available?
What IP address do the computers have?
Are you able to go to Start>Run>type //{computer name of the other comptuer} and does it connect?
Are you able to ping the IP address of the other computer?

Computers are not sleeping
files/permissions are OK
Right clicking on folders does not get me a homegroup read/write option
Both computers can access the internet
Both computers are on the lan
when I try to generate a map I get an error (the usual unknown error)
In Explorer, from the desktop I can click and expand the other computer (notebook) and see the shared files
I can ping both of them
The printers (wired into the desktop) are all "offline" on the notebook
Yesterday I could print from the notebook.
The lan connection dialog box for both computers is identical.
The Notebook cannot see the desktop (but not true visa versa)

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!
RON

to add to JM's list, are the printers set up to be shared?
What firewalls are you running? It's possible that a firewall is getting in the way and is playing games with you.

The printers are shared. AVG and Windows Firewall; run both for a long time. My Epson 3800 is shared and on line. On the notebook the status for this printer is: Network connected. Off line.

When I try to generate a network map now from the Sharing Center, it get an error, an incompatible device. No device was changed. No idea what it could be. Happens on both computers.

Back
Top Bottom