Laptop wont take power ?

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
Hi, i have a laptop that was working fine however I moved the laptop and the computer powered down, I had no battery in the laptop at this point.

I asumed the power cable was bad so i checked the volts and i got 18v but i need 19.5

Then i went on to the socket on the mobo and tested the volts coming out from the back of the socket and i got 18v.

The dc socket is on a spereate board that is replacable but i cant understand why the laptop is not recieving power. The cable and the dc port is both giving out 18.1v.

Any ideas ?

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Update : the lead is giving out 18.1 v and the laptop says on the bottom it needs 19.5 at 3.5a .

Could this be my prob ?

You can generally allow a +/- of 2-3 volts. Try letting the computer rest for a little bit.

Right so it may not be the power supply. I have left the computer overnight without the battery in and without the power cable in and this morning its acting up just the same. It is totally dead. imm guessing now that it must be something to do with the sister board that contains the ethernet port, usb, graphics output and the jack istelf.

Well, unless it's physical damage, like the AC jack is loose, it won't be that. What .eXe mentioned is true, however some are pretty finicky. Try another adaptor if you can.

Just tried another power adaptor and its now working. Duff power supply :)

Cheers for the replies :)

This is not true in all cases but I've found it to be true most of the time >
An unloaded power supply will show the proper voltage well inside the tolerance range. It might even be higher slightly than the spec-ed voltage. Nothing to worry about.
What happens is when you loaded the power supply by connecting a device, the regulators adjust to the load. Then if you put a meter on the power to load connection you see the proper voltage.
But if the power supply is a flake you may see the voltage either way below what is required or it might just crash altogether.

Here's the poop on how it works. Amps is the amount of power. Voltage is the push behind it. If there's not enough push or none at all it just doesn't deliver the goods.

Back
Top Bottom