Confused about servers...

Qwerti

Beta member
Hi! I'm trying to start up a website with an old PowerMac G4 tower, and I am not new to programming, but to making a server. I don't want any monthly or yearly fees. Is a Static IP address always necessary? And other stuff would be helpful. Thanks!

Well yeah it is. If your IP changes then the dns servers won't be able to find you.
But there's an even bigger problem here. If you vilolate the terms of service of your ISP you could be looking at loss of service or some seriously higher prices for the service.

No it isn't.
Some name servers will allow you to run software that constantly updates your ip address, so all you will need to know is how to port forward and to have a ISP that will allow it and your good to go. But to get round all the fiddly stuff then static is the way to go.
TM

If you have trouble getting static IP address, you could look into DDNS (dynamic DNS) services.

Last edited:
Here's something you have completely overlooked. A domain name. And they ain't free. That will be a recurring expense.
I domain with godaddy and host with ninjalion. Between the two, paying two years at a time for name and 1 year for hosting, about 100.00usd. Between due dates for the name I pay 50.00usd for another year of hosting. 150 bucks every 2 years is pissing money.
And I'm legal. You on the other hand are going to have your ISP on your back about high traffic usage and violating the TOS.
Your call... :facepalm:

There is also another bottleneck to consider: I/O

But OP might not have to worry about this just yet. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom