fan on motorcycle

roadstar

Beta member
hi im new here can some one help me im putting a computer fan on a motorcycle to help cool my oil tank in heavey traffic i know it will work hooked up to the battery when the engine is not running because its a 12 volt fan on a 12 volt battery my question is when the engine is running it will be charging about 14 volts will the fan work or will i have to put some kind of resistor between the battery and fan to keep it at 12 volts to the fan

I'm a biker myself.

1. why are you stationary in traffic? filtering ftw
2. Computer fans barely move any air at all. You wouldn't even notice a difference. I've never heard of a time when oil being hot is a problem, over here; it's cold engine fever that's the problem.

I'm a biker myself.

1. why are you stationary in traffic? filtering ftw
2. Computer fans barely move any air at all. You wouldn't even notice a difference. I've never heard of a time when oil being hot is a problem, over here; it's cold engine fever that's the problem.

we are not permitted to filter threw traffic here and on hot days the heat from my engine cooks my right leg were the oil tank is i have seen fans that can move 80+ cfm thats not bad

Applying 14V to a 12V fan isn't going to hurt anything, but it isn't going to cool your oil tank any better than no fan at all either. Like Darkseeker said, why are you sitting in traffic on a bike? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of riding a motorcycle?

thanks for your reply i think if it does not cool the oil at least it will reduce the heat on my leg and in traffic were are you supposed to go if all vehicles are stopped or barely moving

I'm not sure what the laws are in Canada, but in the US (California, anyway) you are supposed to ride in between lanes of traffic when traffic is slowed or stopped. Most motorcycles are air cooled, so stopping with traffic isn't really an option.

Nah, it's true. Thing here in Quebec, people who do this in traffic are at risk of either road rage drivers who will block them off, causing accidents at times, or they may hit someone while entering the highway.

Back
Top Bottom