HD problem

jrs6494

Baseband Member
I just bought and have already installed my new gpu. It is the HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB. My current build is in my signature.

Before I bought this card I had a 4870 and 4650. I also had three hard drives installed and am running 750watt supply and everything worked fine.

So I installed this new card listed above and have the two HD's listed in signature and a 120gig old drive. I began copying files from my home server via router to my new HD. About 45mins into the transfer I got an error message that the 2TB basically could not be found.

It was not in my computer or in disk management. I had to restart the computer for it to show up again. I tried the transfer again and it failed again.

The only thing I could think was that the psu was not enough and shut the HD down. I decided to copy files on the 120gig and unplug it.

I then attempted the transfer again which was about 60gigs of data. I did not do much with the computer during this time, maybe some browsing but that was it and the transfer completed successfully.

Then I needed to move another folder of music. This time though I was playing minecraft and about 40mins to an hour into the transfer the error occurred again.

On top of the components in my signature I also have these: x3 120mm, x3 200mm fans and x3 80mm fans. Also have the Corsair hydro 50 for my cpu.

Is it possible that when the gpu is under load it is drawing so much power that it kills my 2TB hard drive? Do you think I should upgrade psu from 750 watt to 1k watt? Thanks for all information.

Okay guess my signature did not update right.
Cooler Master Storm Sniper | AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition | ASUS M4A88TD-V
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM | HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB | Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB
| Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Black | 2TB HD | DVD-RW
PC Power & Cooling 750W SLI Certified

A 750 watt PSU is fine for that system, especially one of the older PCP&C units. The weak link here isn't your PSU.

Run diagnostic software on your hard drive - I usually use GWSCAN, you can grab it from Gateway's support site, or it comes as a part of the Download Hiren testing suite.

If the drive fails GWSCAN, it's a bad drive - yes, even brand new drives can be toast.

If the test comes back fine (run the full test - don't worry about your data - I've been using the software for 10+ years, never had a data issue) let us know.

I used the Seagate diagnostic tools since it is a Seagate barracuda 2tb green drive. All the basic diags passed fine.

Th drive is running on a sata power cable by itself. Is it possible I don't have enoughs amps or something like that?

It's a green drive? Green drives go into sleep mode after a while and wake up when the computer calls on them. It sounds like your drive is going to sleep and not responding. I would RMA it.

There is no way to turn off the sleep mode? I changed the one setting in control panel under power.

So even though the drive was writing files and went to sleep this means might need to send back then?

The sleep mode of the Green drives is built into the firmware and there is no way that I know of to disable this. If the drive is going to sleep while writing files to it, I would definitely send it back.

So when it falls asleep normally it still should show up in my computer? Then when I need it it will power up like playing music or what not. So this must be a faulty drive then?

Back
Top Bottom