Got my eye on a new laptop

setishock

Wizard of Wires
HP's g7-1310us
It's got 2nd gen i3, 6gig of ram, 640gig harddrive, 17" screen, and a lot of other goodies. Only thing is the graphics is integrated using an Intel chip. But from what I've heard it's light years ahead of what I have now.
Main reason for wanting a bigger screen is my forum now has a gallery and I need a bigger screen with higher resolution to see what members/guests are seeing. Same for the forum as I'd like to get back in to making themes for it.
BabyGirl2, my current lap rig, is running just fine. I just feel it's time for an upgrade. I'll keep her to do other things.

The price is consistant accross newegg, and several other places I've checked. OfficeDepot has it in stock for the same price. $629.00usd.
What you guys think?

My MacBook with Intel HD Graphics 3000 plays back 1080p video just fine. Don't know about you.

Reactions: J03
On most players, M$ included, they have a tough go with mkv and ogm files. If you download the CCCP codex pack and install it using just the default settings, that will help tremendously. I watch a lot of anime that is encoded in those formats. Even GomPlayer had some hiccups until I got that. CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack
As for the HP I selected, I think it provides a lot of bang for a fair amount of bucks. I'm not going to be gaming on this lappy so the extra green for an independant graphics card seems to be a bit of a waste of money.

Intel HD 3000 with an i3 should be able to handle 1080p just fine. The Raspberry Pi can do that, FFS!

Soumds really good! :) I am also picky with the size of the screen to lol I prefer it to be big soo it is more wasier to watch things and handle 3 things at a time.

Update: I installed CCCP and it worked... sort of. The laptop will play back 1080p video at the native 1280x720, but when I plugged it into a television and tried 1080p, it was still a bit jumpy. Watchable, sure, but not as smooth as my HTPC is. I checked and the graphics are one generation older than the laptop you're looking at, so that one should be okay.

Also, afaik, intel still hasn't figured out how to get 24 Hz output working right. This is only important if you have a 120Hz+ TV.

Back
Top Bottom