Screen resolution changes when I run certain programs in Windows XP?

LOLZpersonok

In Runtime
Here's the problem:

My computer 'Changes' the screen resolution when I run certain programs. Basically what I mean by this is that when I open the program, the screen goes black for a few seconds and then resets to a small piece in the top left hand corner of my screen that is ultra zoomed in.

Since right-clicking my desktop and choosing properties can get the window to appear in that small space I can see that the resolution is still set to 1680x1050 (My native resolution) but is only zoomed in.

I can change the resolution but it will still be zoomed in (even on 640x480) but then I will be able to pan around the screen, even now when I set the resolution back to my native display size, but it will still be zoomed in. I have a few pictures as well.

This is what my screen looks like normally (My desktop):
Cam%2520Stuffs.jpg

This is it when trying to run Google SketchUp:
Cam%2520Stuffs%2520050.jpg

This is what my screen looks like after finally closing the program(My Desktop):
Cam%2520Stuffs%2520051.jpg

The programs my computer is known to do this with:

Minecraft
Adobe Photoshop
SimCity 4
Google SketchUp
Blender 3D
Roblox
Safari
Cheat Engine
Assault Cube

My computer only started doing this after I uninstalled my NvIdia card driver, as I do not have a NvIdia card anymore. (It was an integrated chipset)

My current graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 4670.

I can't fix this without restarting my computer. Please help! Re-installing programs simply will not work!

LOLZpersonok said:
Here's the problem:

My computer 'Changes' the screen resolution when I run certain programs. Basically what I mean by this is that when I open the program, the screen goes black for a few seconds and then resets to a small piece in the top left hand corner of my screen that is ultra zoomed in.

Since right-clicking my desktop and choosing properties can get the window to appear in that small space I can see that the resolution is still set to 1680x1050 (My native resolution) but is only zoomed in.

I can change the resolution but it will still be zoomed in (even on 640x480) but then I will be able to pan around the screen, even now when I set the resolution back to my native display size, but it will still be zoomed in. I have a few pictures as well.

This is what my screen looks like normally (My desktop):

This is it when trying to run Google SketchUp:

This is what my screen looks like after finally closing the program(My Desktop):

The programs my computer is known to do this with:

Minecraft
Adobe Photoshop
SimCity 4
Google SketchUp
Blender 3D
Roblox
Safari
Cheat Engine
Assault Cube

My computer only started doing this after I uninstalled my NvIdia card driver, as I do not have a NvIdia card anymore. (It was an integrated chipset)

I can't fix this without restarting my computer. Please help! Re-installing programs simply will not work!

Does the ATI Radeon card comes with driver cd(software cd),try to install the graphics card driver,If you don't have the cd then go to their website and search for ATI Radeon HD 4670 Driver.

Does the ATI Radeon card comes with driver cd(software cd),try to install the graphics card driver,If you don't have the cd then go to their website and search for ATI Radeon HD 4670 Driver.

I do have the graphics driver CD available. The driver is already up to date, however, I will try downloading and installing it again.

Right click on one of the icon's for these programs that keep changing your resolution. In the Compatibility tab, see if the box is checked that changes your screen resolution to some other resolution (e.g. 640x480) when the program is launched.

Right click on one of the icon's for these programs that keep changing your resolution. In the Compatibility tab, see if the box is checked that changes your screen resolution to some other resolution (e.g. 640x480) when the program is launched.

This has not helped relieve the issue. There is no compatability settings selected.

Ok let's go from this point. Normally you do not uninstall the chip or it's drivers. When you install a slot type vid card, you load the drivers for it first. Then shut down and install the new card. Upon booting back up the OS sees the new device and loads the drivers for it.
At the same time it should have updated the bios cmos setting to point at the new video device and disable the internal chip.
It sounds like some of those programs are still looking for the intergrated chip instead of seeing the new vid device. Couple of routes to go here but for the sake of simplcity let's take the path of least resistance.
Boot to the bios setup and check if the setting to point at the vid device is updated to look at the card and not the chip. Make sure the setting for the boot vid device is the card. Exit using save the settings and let the system boot back in to normal mode.
If still no joy there then execute a bios "return to default settings" Doesn't hurt anything at all but would cause the bios system to take a look at the current system config and update as needed.

Oh and just for the record. You never ever ever uninstall the integrated chip or it's drivers. The system will see it as a new device that it has no drivers for and will run the device with it's built in drivers. Can lead to some migrains. Load the nvidia drivers back in. You never know if and when the vid card you installed might crap out and with out the chip having it's drivers, will leave you wanting...

Back
Top Bottom