Novice programming questions

BiG

Solid State Member
Hey everyone I am trying to start into programming (yes I read the stickie) I have an idea where to start but I'm not really sure. I was reading that java would be a great place to start but from what I'm understanding....java is getting older, so I do not want to learn something thats going to be useless if I can catch on enough to use it. I know that I'm slow to catching on to something thats not "hands-on" so it may be a long learning process. I know the basics of the computer but I'm sure no where near advanced!....any help is appreciated!

It doesn't matter where you start, the key is learning the underlying basics of programming. Java may be old, but C+ is older and yet still going strong.

Learn something that you can use now, and then expand your repertoire as you see fit.

java is getting older, so I do not want to learn something thats going to be useless if I can catch on enough to use it.
C# is getting older. VB is getting older. You're getting older. It doesn't mean that it's useless!

Java is still being actively developed, it still has a hugely strong developer community behind it and it's still the easiest way to develop cross platform software, trumps anything else at it by a mile. It's definitely not dead or dying out, if anything with the likes of android and Oracle pushing the VM everywhere it's heading for growth.

As said above though, the important thing is you understand the concepts. Once you've learnt one language you'll be able to apply the concepts to another no problem, so even if you learnt the most dead and dying language it wouldn't be a waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom