Home Network and Access Point

Bagzli said:
phone jack, figured that might be the case. Thought I'd ask, thanks guys.

If you really need better signal in that room, you could get a really long Ethernet cord and run it to that room to connect the access point to (but unless you want a cable running through your house, you'd have to drill some holes in the wall). You can get pretty long Ethernet cables for not too much on Amazon, but its not an instant solution.
Another option are power line adapters. These send the data from an Ethernet cable over your power lines. But they are pretty expensive and might not work too well if the two adapters are on different circuits.

well I already do have a cable running along the walls to the desktop computer in that room, which no longer works, so I suppose i can use that then. So how do I set up that router to be an access point. I'm not at home so can't remember exact model number but its a D-Link Router with N speed or something like that I remember WRT as a start to it. anyways i can look it up if its important. Can you guys give me a link to a guide or explain how the router is set up to be an access point. Is it as easy as just plugging it in or do I have to adjust some settings?

Back
Top Bottom